Does anyone clip coupons?

Old 10-06-2013, 06:48 AM

Default Does anyone clip coupons?

I've watched several shows where the women buys $500 worth of groceries and only pays $7.00
at the register because of all the coupons she has used. I have searched the internet for coupons,
really can't find much. Maybe 40 cents off 6 Yoplait yogurt, or 20 cents off Green Giant canned veggies.
We live in a rural area and only have Wal-Mart to shop, you can buy their brand of GB cheaper than using the coupon. We get a local paper every 2 weeks and there are no coupons in our paper.
We are retired and on a fixed income and would really like to cut our grocery bill.
My question is, where do they find so many coupons, and especially the ones they talk
about that gives them such great deals??? Thank you for any advice. (Happy Quilting!)
Old 10-06-2013, 07:02 AM

I never found that many coupons that fit our lifestyle. My DIL will post from time to time the bargains she found, but when you really looked at the pic, nothing was what we'd use, or her either. I think she just used every coupon she had regardless if there was a need for it. If it's not what you can use, it's not a bargain.
Old 10-06-2013, 07:16 AM
Power Poster

I don't coupon shop but buy store brands instead. If I lived in the US where you can get double the coupon value in some stores I might. I do know there are web based coupon sites that you can print out coupons for products.
Old 10-06-2013, 07:32 AM
Power Poster

I have friend who does extreme couponing. All the time she puts into it is not worth it to me. But she turns around and donates a lot to the shelters and food banks. She also sells some of it to friends. A lot of the stuff is so heavily fragrant that you can't stand to go into her house. I must say she has had to move a lot of it to her garage. About the most I've ever saved is when they have double coupons which isn't very often. I saved about $10.00 on a $135.00 bill for groceries and it was for a holiday dinner. She does donate 80% like the canned goods and a lot of toiletries and toothpaste/brushes and deodorant.
Old 10-06-2013, 07:33 AM
Power Poster

I seldom find coupons on the items we use. When I find a sale on any pantry basic or hygiene product I buy enough for six months at a time.
Old 10-06-2013, 07:45 AM

Pieces2, I'm in the same boat you are in. Our only grocery store choice within a reasonable driving distance is Walmart. Their store brands are generally cheaper than name brand with a coupon. I think all of that works better if you live where stores have to work hard to compete and you can watch sales between stores.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:23 AM

Yes I clip coupons for things we use all the time but buy store brands most of the time. We have 4 big grocery chain stores plus Target and Walmart food departments but none of them ever doubles the coupon values. Just watch the sale ads and save a little that way--eat mostly pork and chicken but seldom buy more expensive beef now. For an old farm girl who grew up on all the beef and pork we wanted to eat, the prices we pay now are outrageous!!!!
Old 10-06-2013, 09:54 AM
Power Poster

A lot of stores have instituted rules to prevent extreme couponers from doing that sort of thing anymore. They limit amounts, don't let them take every item on the shelf, etc. Extreme couponers use coupon clipping sites that *mail* them copies of the coupons they want. I don't think you can find many online to print out that are worth using.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:06 AM

we clip a few for local store-living in the boonies we do not get many good coupons-saves us a little but not like on the tv show---I would rather be quilting than clipping anyway,lol.
Old 10-06-2013, 11:26 AM
Power Poster

ha, ha. i'm not one of those ladies. I go through coupons in the paper and am lucky to find one to use.