Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Does anyone collect thimbles? >

Does anyone collect thimbles?

Does anyone collect thimbles?

Old 06-16-2011, 04:10 PM

My DH collects thimbles. I know--you would think it would be sports memorabilia or something like that. He has approx 50 of them including one from Poland and one from Singapore. He also has some decorative ones in the shape of Chess Pieces and a wooden one of Santa. They are also kept in a case so they don't have to be dusted.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:57 PM

I also collect thimbles, my husband started it. He used to drive an 18 wheeler and go all over.Started bringing me one from all the states he went to.Then family and friends would bring them from any where they went. I have a lot from other countries. My grandson is in the Navy and he always tries to find me one any place he goes.Even some of my customers bring me thimbles. I'm just glad they don't take up much room.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:56 PM

I used to collect. Had the collection that came from Avon a good many years ago. Don't know what I have anymore. It has been so long ago.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:17 PM

I used to collect spoons from all the places I visited until a friend of mine gave me a thimble for my birthday & the light bulb went on. Now if I go somewhere that's what I buy for my souvenir. I don't have an over abundance so I am able to display them in a mirrored hanging display case.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:12 AM

Hope this link works. Awhile back I did a slide show the The Quilt Show. It's just a few thimbles in my collection. I've collected for almost 30 years.

http://secure.smilebox.com/ecom/open..._playback_link

You may also want to check out www.thimblecollectors.com which is a very good group for learning about your thimbles and other sewing related tools. And there are state groups of collectors as well. I'm active in the NY state group and we meet twice a year. If anyone is interested, there is an open invitation for all fellow collectors. Our next meeting will be at a B&B in Utica NY very near to the Munson-Williams-Proctor Art Institute that has a world reknown thimble collection.

Then there is the online yahoo group - CyberThimble, too.

Barbara AKA "Digitabulist" (thimble collector)
Old 06-17-2011, 04:18 AM

Many, many years ago that was true, but you could tell they were specifically meant for that purpose. I've seen many offered as wedding ring thimbles, but most are not. If you think about it - sterling is kind of soft for the constant use and abuse a woman's wedding band can take :-)