Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
does anyone do this anymore? >

does anyone do this anymore?

does anyone do this anymore?

Old 03-15-2010, 09:52 PM

does anyone make their own clothes anymore i use to but haven't done it in a long time i was just wondering if anyone does this anymore and could give me some tips thanks dorothy
Old 03-16-2010, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by middysmom
does anyone make their own clothes anymore i use to but haven't done it in a long time i was just wondering if anyone does this anymore and could give me some tips thanks dorothy
Once I'm working again, one of the first things I'm going to do is buy a sewing machine, and you bet, I'll be making clothes with it. I'm afraid I don't know how yet, but maybe we can compare notes when that time comes.

I am sooo sick of things not being available any more in stores. Everything in my size is made of stretch fabric, button-down shirts don't button all the way up any more, and frankly, I'm not that fond of today's styles.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:23 AM

It's too expensive. Used to be a great way to save money.
Old 03-16-2010, 01:25 AM

I've tried. I'm just not talented in that area. But, I would love to know how to do it. Over the years I've spent more money on patterns and fabric that turned out awful. I've always envied people who could sew...I wish I could. You should go for it!
Old 03-16-2010, 02:47 AM

i don't "sew" lol! i only quilt..i think they are totally different! i would love to be able to make a few tops or PJ's..they have "quick sew" or something like that (patterns) at Joanns. i have few for a someday project! it used to be cheaper to make your own, not so anymore.
Old 03-16-2010, 02:59 AM

I used to make all of my own clothes. I still make my dresses and most of my blazers. I made all of the bridesmaids dresses for my daughters wedding. I love making girlie dresses for my granddaughters. I also make flannel pants for everyone in the family. They love that they can pick their fabric. I am teaching my granddaughter to make her own clothing too. I do alot of mending for people also but the one thing I refuse to do is to replace zippers for anyone. I can put a zipper in to a new clothing item but I can't seem to get the hang of replacing them.
Old 03-16-2010, 03:18 AM

I have made shorts and crop pants, the crop pants I liked in the mailorder we so expensive, $59 so I knew i could make them cheaper and the same pattern had shorts. Just try something easy, shorts are easy. go for it. Lace
Old 03-16-2010, 03:26 AM

Start with one of the $2.98 patterns from Wal-mart. There are patterens for several things from purses to dresses. Other patterns are $9 and up, so you don't want to invest that unless you have to.

I have made everything from sleep pants and Halloween costumes to prom dresses. Just follow the instructions.
Old 03-16-2010, 04:03 AM

I make my own clothes because the stores just don't carry modest clothing. I wear a lot of jumpers which I make and just buy shirts--if I can find some that don't show a bunch of cleavage and have sleeves in them. My soon to be 11 yr old daughter is convinced that her clothes are "designer originals" because I don't use patterns. She loves the clothes I make for her although I also buy a lot of her clothes. I'm not much for shopping for clothes when there's so much fabric out there to buy. :lol:
Old 03-16-2010, 04:17 AM

I've been sewing since I was a little girl and making my own clothes since I was in high school. I once made my husband a 3 piece suit, myself a two piece dress and each of my three children an outfit for Easter. I made my daughter her wedding dress but generally got "too busy" to sew for a few years. I am back into it now. I have not only the quilting bug but I collect patterns and am teaching my grandaughter to sew. I will suggest the following for anyone who is interested in sewing clothing. I have seen the video and it is on my list for Mother's Day as a suggestion for gifts for my children to get me......lol!

http://www.nancysnotions.com/product...idence+book.do