Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Does anyone have diabetes and have this problem? >

Does anyone have diabetes and have this problem?

Does anyone have diabetes and have this problem?

Old 01-19-2011, 02:26 PM

I am a diabetic also. I hated Metformin. My stomache cramped, had diarreha and it smelled awful. I told my doctor I would rather take insulin than Metformin. He put me on Actos about 2 yrs ago. I started taking 15mg with insulin. Now I take 30mg without insulin. I keep insulin in the refrig incase my sugar spike and I need it to come down, but that is rare. STRESS is a monster on the body. It does effect diabetes just as bad or worst than carbs. Pasta will also cause my sugar levels to spike more than sweets. I love pasta but do not eat it anymore. You have to learn which carb effects your sugar levels because not all will effect your body the same way it does someone else body. I have had to ellimunate stressers from my life. When I was diagnosed my sugar was over 700, it nows reads around 125. I love to laugh and live a peaceful life as possible. Hope this helps.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:42 PM

I was on Metformin, didn't gain the weight but diarrhea was my worse enemy! One minute I was fine and then, without warning.... Needless to say I didn't go out much :x Like you I whined to the doctor and also like you she wouldn't take me off of it even though I told her my brother and sister had the same reactlon to it. My brother stopped taking it so he could work! Eventually I switched doctors and the new doc immediately took me off--she agreed that I was allergic and changed my meds to 45mg of Actos. Actos is expensive but it works! Glipizide twice a day, Actos once a day and exercise (walking) helped me tremendously!

I also stopped using things made with white flour--everything is wheat or multi-grain.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by scowlkat
Ok, Metformin was my nemesis too! Not necessarily because of weight gain but because I could NOT get warm! Now I am by nature a very hot blooded person and am typically happy at about 65 to 68 degrees. So even my hubby was concerned because I had to stay covered and still shivered. My doctor didn't agree with me and wanted me to continue but I was so miserable! I took myself off the Metformin but stayed on the Glipizide and the chills stopped! My sugar is still high most of the time (usually around 200) but I am trying to work it out with diet.

I don't know why doctors don't understand that we know our own bodies best and if there is a direct correlation between taking a medication and the symptoms, well, there you have it!

Good luck. Diabetes is a monster! I can only imagine what my internal organs are turning into but since I feel I am doing my best, I am going to enjoy my life to best of my ability while I can.

I am so glad you found a doctor who listened to you. Just one question, did you ever take a diabetes education class? I did and they taught us how to read labels and it has helped. Might that be an option?
I did take one when I was first diagnosed. And when we lived on the Coast, once a month there was a free diabetic group that I would go to and I did learn alot. But where we live now, I've never been to one. I take Glimepiride now. I was tickled pink earlier this evening I took my sugar and it was 194 which is still high but not as high as it has been. Now I am a bit anxious to find out what it will be in the morning. I am really glad that you are doing good with your sugars. I am proud of all of you that have posted on this. Just does make me feel alot better. ;)
Old 01-19-2011, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by Ann63
I am a diabetic also. I hated Metformin. My stomache cramped, had diarreha and it smelled awful. I told my doctor I would rather take insulin than Metformin. He put me on Actos about 2 yrs ago. I started taking 15mg with insulin. Now I take 30mg without insulin. I keep insulin in the refrig incase my sugar spike and I need it to come down, but that is rare. STRESS is a monster on the body. It does effect diabetes just as bad or worst than carbs. Pasta will also cause my sugar levels to spike more than sweets. I love pasta but do not eat it anymore. You have to learn which carb effects your sugar levels because not all will effect your body the same way it does someone else body. I have had to ellimunate stressers from my life. When I was diagnosed my sugar was over 700, it nows reads around 125. I love to laugh and live a peaceful life as possible. Hope this helps.
Ann, Congratulations on getting your sugars down that low. I know its definately a struggle. Thanks for all your advice and I will take it all to heart.