Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Does anyone know anything about this doll?

Does anyone know anything about this doll?

My mom showed me this "sewing doll" today. She ordered the doll herself from Sears back in the 1940's when she was about 10 or 11 years old. The doll has detachable arms to make dressing her much easier. Mom made the dress the doll is wearing. Mom doesn't remember what the doll was called except for a "sewing doll." Does anyone know anything about her?
    Attached Images Attached Images Click to view large image 

Never heard of her but what a neat treasure, so special that she still has the dress, too.

Blog Entries
    Sears had doll catalogs back then. I remember hearing many years ago about a doll kit that was used for learning to sew doll clothes. I believe it was in Home Ec class I heard this. I googled and this is what I found. Could this have been something similar to what your sister ordered? The doll in this kit also has removable arms.

http://www.dollreference.com/doll_sewing_mannequin.html

And here is what I found with a Sears catalog 1945-mannequin dolls included.

http://www.collectorsweekly.com/stor...clothes-and-ma
    Last edited by NanaCsews2; 02-12-2013 at 04:58 PM.

No, but what a neat doll. And your mother took excellent care of her. Thanks for sharing a pic of her with a little history.

Kat

Thank you so much!!! I printed the info for my mom. She will be delighted to read it! She remembered she paid $12 for it and her mother had a hissy fit! That was a lot of money back then, expecially to pay for a doll. Mom had the doll restored and had her under the bed wrapped up to protect her. She showed it to me yesterday and i encouraged mom to put the doll out so she could enjoy her. Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by NanaCsews2 View Post
    Sears had doll catalogs back then. I remember hearing many years ago about a doll kit that was used for learning to sew doll clothes. I believe it was in Home Ec class I heard this. I googled and this is what I found. Could this have been something similar to what your sister ordered? The doll in this kit also has removable arms.

http://www.dollreference.com/doll_sewing_mannequin.html

And here is what I found with a Sears catalog 1945-mannequin dolls included.

http://www.collectorsweekly.com/stor...clothes-and-ma

Sort of looks like a pre-Barbie!

Loving life in the sun ! With sunscreen on of course ...
    How awesome .. what a unique doll for sure to learn to sew .. thanks for sharing
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

I had one! It came with paper dress patterns and even a dress form!
    Of course the patterns were very difficult for a little girl- I quicky lost interest in that gift but not for my love of sewing.
    Evelyn

I have a nice collection of dolls but have never seen your's before. How wonderful that you have it.
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place...the End Times.

Heaven and Earth are full of His Glory!

Blog Entries
    i have some smaller dolls that are porcelin. they are children, little girls. their arms are threaded thru the body on cotton twine, if i remember correctly their shoes are painted on as are hair and facial features. i'm not sure if they were my g'mother's or my aunt's. one of them has a red silg dress that has not been finished. they are very neat.
    The only bad days are the ones you don't get.