Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Does fabric "pick up" emotions? >

Does fabric "pick up" emotions?

Does fabric "pick up" emotions?

Old 10-02-2015, 03:14 AM

Well, there have been times, that if fabric "picked up emotions", and changed colors due to my (shall we say colorful language when I'm in the middle of a screw-up) I'd have some weird looking quilts
Old 10-02-2015, 06:22 AM

No I don't think so,

I sometimes choose fabrics or patterns based on my mood or current circumstances and the overall composition of my project reflects that much like a canvas painting reflects a mood or feeling of the artist.

To me the words "made with love or lovingly made" when we see a quilt that we do not know the history of reflects the craftsmanship of straight seams and perfect points, maybe a creative quilting motif. When its used because I made it for a friend or family member they know I love them and it's about that I took the time to make something for them. The love and caring and someone feels when wrapping themselves in that home made quilt is more about the known feeling for the giver not the fabric passing it along.
Old 10-02-2015, 06:30 AM
Power Poster

I agree totally. It's happened to me.
Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
No I don't think inanimate objects can hold emotions. The people who give or receive quilts have the emotions. All you have to think of are the many posts of quilters who lovingly make a masterpiece only to have it become the dog bed.
Old 10-02-2015, 06:32 AM
Power Poster

LOL!!!! Same here! Whew!!
Originally Posted by sandy l View Post
Well, there have been times, that if fabric "picked up emotions", and changed colors due to my (shall we say colorful language when I'm in the middle of a screw-up) I'd have some weird looking quilts
Old 10-02-2015, 06:32 AM
Power Poster

I don't think inanimate objects pick up feelings, one way or another. If I had to look at a project that I made while I was having bad feelings, sad feelings, etc. it would remind me of those feelings, but, once it left my house, it would be with the intended recipient in mind and I would hope it would please them.
Old 10-02-2015, 06:45 AM

No, I don't think so - I think it's a superstition, but a harmless one and a sort of fun one. I like to say that "my quilts are hugs trapped in fabric" but that's just an expression.

But, even though I'm certain it makes no difference whatsoever, I still talk to inanimate objects and try to pour good feelings into anything I'm making (food, quilts, art...). It makes ME feel happy and lighthearted to do these silly things, so I don't really care if it's all in my imagination. I pat my machines on the "head" and tell them they're good and beautiful all the time...it doesn't bother them any either way so I figure no harm, no foul.

My father once told me I don't have a choice about growing old but I DO have a choice about growing UP. I think there is real value in retaining some types of childishness, and this is one of the "childish" things I've held onto. I hum along with the vacuum cleaner because it works better when it feels like it's part of a team, I tell the timer "I'M COMING!!!" when it goes off so it won't get impatient, and when my car is acting up I pat her on the dashboard and reassure her that she's a good car and we'll get through this together.
Old 10-02-2015, 06:45 AM

Inanimate objects don't have feelings, however, how we feel when we are working on a project can determine the way we like or dislike the outcome. As my granddaughter always says, it messes up her Feng Shui.
Old 10-02-2015, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
I have seen lots of posts saying "the receiver of that quilt will feel all the love that is sewm into it" and one lady posted she did not want to make a quilt while she was feeling sad because she did not want the receiver of that quilt to feel sad.

Do you think/feel a quilt does pick up (and keep) the feelings of the maker? And if that would be the case - would it pick up any emotions of other people that handled it along the way?

I don't know the answer - just wondering if anyone has any thoughts or feeling about it?
WHAT??????? You're kidding, right?
Old 10-02-2015, 08:45 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
No I don't think inanimate objects can hold emotions.
I agree too.
Old 10-02-2015, 09:06 AM

I feel that a person getting a gift they know someone put a lot of love and hard work making it feels the love they know the person making it felt while making it. And know how much that person loved them to make it for them.