Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Doggie Bandanas - How much to charge??? >

Doggie Bandanas - How much to charge???

Doggie Bandanas - How much to charge???

Old 03-25-2015, 12:28 PM

Default Doggie Bandanas - How much to charge???

Hello everyone. I was asked to make bandanas for Dog Grooming business but I have no idea how much to charge. They are simple one sided triangles in two sizes - Medium and Large and they will provide the fabric. I have to cut and serge them. They will need about 40-50 a month to start. Any idea how much I should charge for a job like this? I appreciate any feedback since I can seem to find anything on the internet but I will keep on looking. Many Thanks!

Bernice
Old 03-25-2015, 12:37 PM

Dog bandanas on amazon range from around $6 to $16. That's retail price.

How long does it take to cut and serge one bandana? Charging them 50 cents each, you would make $25 a month. Is the time and hassle worth your while?
Old 03-25-2015, 12:44 PM

When I make my little pooch a bandana I just use my pinking scissors - so easy - no sewing. At one time I sewed the two sided one's to fit the collar but found this to be a waste of time and fabric. I'm guessing they will not want to pay you what your time is really worth.
Old 03-25-2015, 01:17 PM
Power Poster

I used to make them for my Maine coon kitty, they sent him home with a bow and he was embarrassed so I did a bandana. I've seen them selling for 5-10.
the ones I did for my kitty had elastic where you would tie them, so that would mean more money.

Will you be doing them like Rainy said.
Just serging them maybe sell them for $4 each. don't forget..thread, elastic, electricity your time.
see if the 4-5 dollar range will give you enough of a profit and still keep them coming back for more.
Old 03-25-2015, 04:10 PM

I don't have a clue what you should charge, but I made a couple of them for Socrates. I used small pieces of Velcro to close them.
Old 03-25-2015, 04:25 PM

I suggest you have a contract with the business. As for price, figure out how long it would take to make one and remember the cost of thread, electricity and wear and tear on your machine. Did the owner offer any idea of how much they would be willing to pay? The business owner should have an idea of how much they can pay for the product, I am assuming they will be using these on dogs that they groomed and will be in the price of grooming. Will the business also be selling these? This could be lucrative for you, if you could sell them some fancier items for retail in the front. If you are interested in making other pet items, that is. Just remember to treat it as a business transaction because that is what it is. I'm sure others will give better specifics, that have way more experience than me.
Old 03-25-2015, 04:48 PM

I just did a search and found this
http://www.wholesaleforeveryone.com/...gle-piece.html

Maybe it'll give you an idea of the going rate.
Old 03-25-2015, 05:51 PM

I make my Dad bandanas bibs. They are liked by nursing home and others. They are simple. Triangle bandanas - wrap top triangle with ribbon press and sew down. Covers full chest and lap. He has dogs, army, flag, music, etc.
I was just ask by the office staff to make them for sale. People want them, they are great not like a bib to them but what do you have or today look what I have. I think it cost 5.00 to make and I sell for profit to help me make cancer
blankets for friends and snack for nurses. I sell for 8.00. - 10.00 dollars. I have sold before and found it to always put me in the hole. Selling for 2.00 or 3.00 over cost. There is always Someone who does not want that color or I thought it would be different or to dark, light etc. I washed it in bleach and so on. Then I need a free replacement, and so on,I put 5.00 on a hour worth of work. It is not hard, but covers some of the things that happen, the sewing thread, needles, and the cleaning of machine each year. My friend charge 8.00 per hour. She said that the least you get paid at a job. I don't know, my brother said
you will always be working and never make anything. It is true but I really do it to help them and help with the washing and changing of clothes for family less laundry and stained clothes. You can go down on price if needed, but to go up after starting at price is hard.
I will not get to make a lot of money. Just to make money to give back, I hope.
Old 03-26-2015, 06:36 AM

I have done a lot of piece work for a number of companies and people. I have made these and I would charge 25 to 50 cents each. Your groomer is going to be giving these away, to each of the dogs she works on so she is not selling them. And because she is providing the stuff, you will be doing this in a very short time. Have fun
Old 03-26-2015, 09:07 AM

How long will it take you to make them? How complicated? Then figure out how much to charge. how many can you make in a hour etc. Are they going to sell them in groomers or just put them on dogs they groom?