Doll Hair

Old 08-24-2011, 05:07 PM

I know we have lots of talented folks on this board, with all sorts of experience. I need help with doll hair.

I am making my granddaughter a topsy turvy doll - one side asleep, the other awake. I didn't have a pattern for the doll, just winged it. I'm hand sewing on the hair with yarn. A loop stitch followed by a lock stitch. This is a stitch I used 30+years ago, and I think I got the directions from a Raggedy Ann pattern. It's taking forever, and my fingers are sore. I remember these problems from 30+ years ago.

Is there a better way? I'm almost done with the awake side of the doll, but would love a faster, easier method for the asleep side.

TIA
Old 08-24-2011, 05:21 PM
Power Poster

Maybe for her sleeping side, she could have a different "do" ... what about embroidering on straight lines to have it flat to her head, and give her a bun? or a braid(s)? Or hide her hair into a bed scarf?
Old 08-24-2011, 05:24 PM

I hope I can explain a method I used making rag doll hair....

Cut a strip of stiff paper, the width twice the size you want the curls. Gently wind yarn around the strip until it is solid yarn without overlap. On the sewing machine stitch through the center of the yarn covered strip. Remove paper. Attach to head side to side or like a center part using needle and thread. Continue making/adding strips until the hair is as full as you wish.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Greenheron

Cut a strip of stiff paper, the width twice the size you want the curls. Gently wind yarn around the strip until it is solid yarn without overlap. On the sewing machine stitch through the center of the yarn covered strip. Remove paper. Attach to head side to side or like a center part using needle and thread. Continue making/adding strips until the hair is as full as you wish.
This sounds possible. What kind of paper do you use, that has enough stiffness for the wrapping stage, but still tears away?
Old 08-24-2011, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE
Maybe for her sleeping side, she could have a different "do" ... what about embroidering on straight lines to have it flat to her head, and give her a bun? or a braid(s)? Or hide her hair into a bed scarf?
I've thought about a sleep hat of some kind, but can't seem to envision a pattern. I'd like something with just bangs showing, but just can't get from that idea in my head to something I can actually construct.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:44 PM

I think for the sleeping side, I would sew on a white nightcap like they wore in olden days and just give her some bangs...Naomi :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 08-24-2011, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by quilt1950
Originally Posted by Greenheron

This sounds possible. What kind of paper do you use, that has enough stiffness for the wrapping stage, but still tears away?
I

I suppose you could use thin paper and cardboard for the wrapping stage and remove the cardboard before sewing. Fold typing paper couple of times. Should be able to pull it away after the needle pierces it. It's been a long time since I made a rag doll.

:oops:
Old 08-24-2011, 06:39 PM
Banned

should have sewn the hair onto the fabric first...I have a book that shows how..it is like making a wig...
Old 08-24-2011, 07:52 PM
pal

I take 4 very long pieces of yarn (maybe 2yards long) and hold them together. Coming in from the left side, put the four ends under the foot of your sewing machine leaving about 1 inch coming out the right side. Take a couple of stitches. Then make a loop on the left side, bring it under your machine foot and take a couple of stitches. Do the same on the right side - then come back to the left side. You are actually making loops just as Greenheron suggested, but without the paper. Once you get the hang of it, it goes fast. After you've done the whole 2 yards or so
just twist it a little bit and sew it on. You can leave it in curls, or you can snip the curls and make a short haircut. I sew the hair on around the outside of the head and work my way to the middle. It's very easy to add more hair if you don't have enough.

If you decide to make the night cap, just trace around a saucer or salad plate, add lace around the outside, go in an inch from the edge with a running stitch, tighten it on t the doll's head and sew it down.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:08 AM
pal

Another great resource for doll hair is the lowly used tee shirt. That makes great hair. Use your rotary cutter and cut side to side(about 1/2" strips, then pull the strip. You can gather it to make long hair or sew it to make curls, as you would use yarn..

Another way to use the tee shirts is to cut a wide strip (3") sew through the center and then snip it like a rag quilt on both sides of the sewn line. Then carefully pull those strips. They will also curl up. Experiment with strip sizes.