Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Dolphins playing in the water >

Dolphins playing in the water

Dolphins playing in the water

Old 02-23-2011, 09:49 PM

This is so incredibly cool!!!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMCf7...eature=related
Old 02-23-2011, 09:56 PM

SO CUTE!! I love watching dolphins :D
Old 02-23-2011, 10:08 PM

Thank you for sharing. My DH and I love to watch the dolphins in the Gulf of Mexico near our home. Last fall we saw the most spectacular show that lasted at least a half hour by at least 30 or more dolphins. It was better than any show we have seen at Sea World or anyplace else. The wild dolphins were jumping very high out of the water and doing flips and turns that had us thinking they were sure to injure themselves. They started out as three or four pods, it was like trying to watch a couple of tennis matches at once. Our heads kept turning left and right so we wouldn't miss anything. They appeared to be trying to outdo one another. I told my husband it might be mating season. I still haven't googled that yet. I think I will now. After a long time the pods started joining one another and it ended up as one huge pod. We were surprised they didn't bump into each other. We were thrilled to see that right off the beach in front of us. I hope it wasn't a once in a lifetime thing. Thank you, again.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:29 PM

Tropical.....years ago I was in Hawaii. Took a snorkeling tour out to a cove. On the way back the dolphins joined us. The little ones were first...they swam up to the boat and rode in the wake. Then they swam off and the middle size ones came --sometimes in pairs next to the boat. Then the grand finale....large ones were leaping and jumping -- in pairs....and swimming next to the boat. Got the chance to look one in the eye -- I swear he was smiling and KNEW they were entertaining us!!!! I had expected everything else I saw in Hawaii, but I didn't expect that and I'll tell you --that experience will be with me forever.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:08 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Tropical
Thank you for sharing. My DH and I love to watch the dolphins in the Gulf of Mexico near our home. Last fall we saw the most spectacular show that lasted at least a half hour by at least 30 or more dolphins. It was better than any show we have seen at Sea World or anyplace else. The wild dolphins were jumping very high out of the water and doing flips and turns that had us thinking they were sure to injure themselves. They started out as three or four pods, it was like trying to watch a couple of tennis matches at once. Our heads kept turning left and right so we wouldn't miss anything. They appeared to be trying to outdo one another. I told my husband it might be mating season. I still haven't googled that yet. I think I will now. After a long time the pods started joining one another and it ended up as one huge pod. We were surprised they didn't bump into each other. We were thrilled to see that right off the beach in front of us. I hope it wasn't a once in a lifetime thing. Thank you, again.
I lived in Cocoa Beach for 5 years and saw Dolphin quite often in the Indian and Banana Rivers. We used to ski the area and they would often "surf" our wakes but I never saw a show like you describe! What a treat that must have been.

The manatees would come up to our dock and we would give them fresh water to drink and lettuce to eat. They would allow us to pet them. That was always a special treat too. You could always tell when it was manatee mating season as they would be very active in the secluded dead end canals. Normally they just float near the surface. During mating season they are very active and splashy.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:21 AM

sadly the BP oil spill is having a bad effect on the baby dolphins.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110223/..._dolphins_gulf
Old 02-24-2011, 12:10 PM

DANG!!!! That's so sad....and so maddening!