Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
From Don-isewman--Need help & answers on dyeing fabric >

From Don-isewman--Need help & answers on dyeing fabric

From Don-isewman--Need help & answers on dyeing fabric

Old 10-09-2013, 08:19 AM

Default From Don-isewman--Need help & answers on dyeing fabric

Anyone give me pointer's on dyeing 100% cotton fabric. I have some tan dye, I want to use on a off white fabric. Can this dye be used in a washing machine. And when should the fabric and dye be put in to the washing machine. The directions also say to add 1 cup of salt to the dye bath. When should that be put in. And can the dye be put in a container of some kind out side. And let the dye and material soak for a period of time. Thank's to everyone who has answers for me. I sure don't want to mess up the washing machine. Don-isewman
Old 10-09-2013, 08:48 AM
Power Poster

I never used my washing machine for dyeing anything. I just use a large tub/tote. It should have directions washing machines. I personally like to use the tote. I do it outside because I can be a slob. I just add the water and dye together and make sure it's mixed well. I did it to a couple of sheets (100% cotton). I was wanting a very dark blue so I added black also. Anyway I shook/fluffed the sheet to make sure no folds. Every 5 minutes I rearranged the sheet to make sure the dye was getting through the whole sheet. I didn't want streaks. Did this for about an hour then let it sit for anther 30 minutes. Then I squeezed out the excess. Drained the tub and filled back up with cold water. After swishing and dousing up and down in the tub to get any excess out til the water became clear, I let it dry outside in a shaded area. That had to be done on the carport so I put a tarp down so as not stain the floor. After it was totally dry I ran it through the wash then inthe drier. I got the results I wanted and to this day I still have the same sheet after 8 years. It was the Ritz dye that I used.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:35 AM

I have used my canner before, but that depends on how many yards of fabric you are going to use. The washer is about the best, especially with a tan color. When you are done, empty washer of water/dye and run bleach through the largest wash cycle, (no clothes or fabric) and it should take care of any lingering dye. I have pre-washed red fabric that bled, and made the inside of my washer red. I ran an empty bleach cycle afterwards. Everything turned out ok. This was using the older washers, not the front load. Good luck!
Old 10-09-2013, 12:24 PM
Power Poster

if you visit the Dharma Trading Company website they have very good instructions for dyeing fabrics- along with tips, hints, help & inspiration. make sure your fabric is 'pre-washed' with detergent- no fabric softener. I generally use a Tupperware tub, or some sort of plastic container with a lid. do not use anything (tools, containers) that will later be used for food prep- have separate measuring spoons, stir sticks, containers ect. I have always used soda ash- along with salt *the salt helps 'push' the dye out of the water & into the fabric (soda ash is a 'fixative' which makes the dyes bond with the fibers and not just sit on top of the fabric) mix up your dyes, mix up the soda ash/salt mixture (1 cup soda ash, 1/2 cup salt, 1 gallon water-- mix/stir well until completely dissolved) you don't mention how large of a piece of fabric you intend to dye- so, i'm going to 'guess' 1 yard---(in class we use gallon ziplocks for this- so i'll tell you with those- you can use what ever container you have decided on) set ziplock in a plastic dishpan so they stand up-open. (btw- the soda ash/salt mixture will last a long time so can be stored in a lidded container for future projects) have 2 containers of clean water close by- one for rinsing hands/tools, the other to use in the process--fill them with HOT water to start. measure clean warm water into bag (4 cups for 1 yard of fabric) add the amount of dye using (mixed up ready to use) scrunch up the fabric & add to the bag * I use a chopstick to push it down into the water/dye solution* make sure the fabric is completely covered. add the soda ash/salt mixture to the bag (1/4 cup for 1 yard fabric) press/massage the bag to mix the dye solution-soda ash together use your hand to separate the fabric in the bag so everything is evenly distributed. zip up the bag & set aside. for even color 'massage' the bag every 10 minutes for the next 90 minutes (if you want mottled you can let them sit without moving for at least 1 hour) *I generally leave my fabrics in the dye solution for at least 24 hours* == the next day start your washing machine-and add about 1 tbsp. Synthropol- rinse the fabrics you have dyed in the sink with cold water- then add them to the washer as it fills- I usually wash my fabrics 3 times then into the dryer. dyeing is a wonderful *technique* to learn- then you can always 'create' your fabrics in the colors you need. I recommend 2 books if you are going to *make a habit of it*=== the Fabric Dyer's Dictionary and Fabric To Dye For= both are great resources.
Old 10-10-2013, 05:12 AM

I have used Rit Dye and my washing machine with fine results. Just run it with soap and no clothing for one cycle after you are done and you won't have any trouble. If you are using Dharma dyes, follow the instructions. They are very good and complete.
Old 10-10-2013, 05:36 AM

I don't dye but for those following this thread who do or are just getting into it, here's an angle to consider. I took a class with a well known, published quilter. Her husband is a "closet" dyer and he takes his work very seriously. He wasn't getting consistent results so he checked with the city water department. It seems that they change the chemicals in the water seasonally. There's a change for summer and again for winter. This affects the dye results. He has to adjust for the changes and he now knows when the changes occur so he can dye accordingly. Interesting!
Old 10-10-2013, 12:23 PM

Hi everyone. When I was making a picket fence border on a flowered quilt, I had a piece of printed white stripe which cold resemble boards but was glaring white. S o I experimented with coffee, instant coffee, tea and onion skins. Each gave a different color and dipped a piece of the fabric into them. Coffee and tea gave nice tan colors. The onion skin gave a slightly orange color. and the instant coffee gave a dark grey. Have some fun with this. And these things do not wash out if you have ever spilled on a white shirt.
Old 10-10-2013, 03:05 PM

I have always used those portable dishwashing tubs (very inexpensive) and turn my fabric very often, The Dharma site directions will give you lots of good info. Good luck Don
Old 10-11-2013, 07:15 AM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

what is soda ash and where can it be purchased? thanks! good luck DON
Old 10-11-2013, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by cherrio View Post
what is soda ash and where can it be purchased? thanks! good luck DON
Soda Ash = sodium hydrogen carbonate
It's used as a fixative for the dye. You can buy it in craft stores, online at Dharma Trading Company or ProChemical and Dye Company. Those are all more expensive than where I got my 4.25 lbs. pail though. I got it at Menards in the pool isle. It's used to raise the alkalinity in your pool. Menards is a home building supplies store, like Home Depot or Lowes.

If you are using Procion dyes, you should follow the instructions that both Dharma Trading Co. & Pro Chemical and Dye provide on their websites. In order for the dye to do it's job you need to leave it for 24 hours. Soda ash is either mixed with the dye bath or mixed with water and the fabric soaks in it for 20 min., before going in the dye bath. Just look up on those websites for their instructions.