Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
is donating a quilted item really an act of charity? >

is donating a quilted item really an act of charity?

is donating a quilted item really an act of charity?

Old 03-14-2015, 10:15 AM

Sewnoma is So Right! One can't do everything, but Everyone can do something. This is one time when "the big picture" can be paralyzing. It's important to do what you can within your sphere of influence: right outside your door, within your community, your state, your country, the world. All or some or one of these, whatever we are each capable of doing.
Old 03-14-2015, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Latrinka View Post
Go to home page and there is a requests forum.
Thank you Latrinka, I did check the requests forum but didn't find anything for the foster kids camp. I appreciate the heads up about the request forum tho!
Old 03-14-2015, 02:24 PM

For me, it is an act of charity. Especially for people in homeless shelters or for the foster kids. I'd like to be able to give to them directly, but it doesn't work that way. Unfortunately, in today's society, I'm not sure how much they are appreciated, but I know what love and good wishes I am sewing into them so once they leave my hands, they are into the hands of other's that I hope will benefit from them. It's the best I can do at this time in my life. I do NOT send junky stuff......it's stuff I would make for my family.

I do enjoy making the quilts. Not only do I enjoy the activity, but I also enjoy knowing it will help someone else feel a bit more loved and warm......

Last edited by wendiq; 03-14-2015 at 02:28 PM.
Old 03-14-2015, 05:22 PM

People love pretty things, and some will never have the money for anything but essentials. I also make necklaces for the young girls that receive the "shoeboxes" from Samaritan's Purse. Those girls can certainly live without my necklaces, but they deserve something pretty too. I give quilts to the Women's mission. I could just give the money, but the ladies would never see it. Of course the mission could use both -- yes this kind of thinking "can drive you crazy!" lol.
Old 03-14-2015, 07:52 PM

I think all of us do what we can with the resources we have. I have never met a quilter yet that didn't have a big heart & would like to give back in some way. It just makes us feel soooooo good inside to give. You can imagine how the receiver feels too, to receive such an act of kindness from a total stranger. Its a Win Win situation no matter what you give or who you give it to
Old 03-15-2015, 05:58 AM

It was Mother Teresa who said "if you can't feed everybody, feed one". I try to adopt the same philosophy about my quilting. I give what I can when I can to those organizations or people to whom I want to gift with one of my quilts. I see nothing wrong with using older fabrics from your stash to make "Community Quilts" and getting personal satisfaction from making them. You can make a very attractive warm quilt with fabric that is not the latest design or colour. We have had this discussion several times in our guild and have never been able to have everyone thinking the same on this. We have some who feel "anything is good enough" and others who only want to donate a prize winning quilt made with the latest fabric. Somewhere in the middle of these two opinions is probably the general concensus of most quilters.