DOWNSIZING

Old 06-22-2011, 11:14 AM

I agree...it's good when you can make one room do the work of two.Our utility room only had a water heater & lots of stored junk.The junk went away & moved my sewing stuff in.Works great.
The family room has 2 sofas & room for 2 air mattresses.It's space for family when they need to stay over, or my Sis/DD comes from out of state.Lots of room to set it up as a dining rm during holidays.

Originally Posted by nycquilter
when DH and I decided to live together (with my then-13 year old DD), we chose to gut my apartment to the walls and start over. I'd been there 20 years already. WOW did I find and chuck tons of stuff. The truth? I really didn't miss it. we built a sewing space for me that is also used for guests. The plus was livign with the man/prince of my dreams! so, I downsized sort-of and it was fine
Old 06-22-2011, 11:22 AM

I know this is a hard decision to make. I agree with other; make sure you have a dedicated sewing ares. Good luck!
Old 06-22-2011, 02:00 PM

We've owned our house for 35 years. When DH was transferred for work we rented it out. So the upside is it is paid for.
It is a 3 bedroom. 1100 square ft. Kids are all gone. However, if we moved I would want a bigger house. Sometimes this one makes me feel claustrophobic.
Old 06-22-2011, 02:52 PM

we often talk of downsizing. Its not the house so much as the huge garden - its hard to manage as we get older. But we have been in this house for nearly thirty years, and it will be a wrench. So, we talk and talk and don't do anything!! It is the thought of all the work involved in buying a new place, selling this one, packing, moving etc etc. Its been quite uplifting reading some of the posts from people who have been through this and are now glad they did. Good luck with your new home, it sounds great. Maybe it will turn out to be the best thing you ever did.