Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
dry clean or home wash a comforter... >

dry clean or home wash a comforter...

dry clean or home wash a comforter...

Old 08-01-2011, 05:06 AM

if it says dry clean only..that is the best bet!
Old 08-01-2011, 08:40 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by romanojg
If you wash it it will be lumpy. My daughter did that to mine and she even took it out so that the machine was large enough to hold it. A 150 comforter in the trash; can't fix the lumps
Most likely the lumpiness was caused by machine agitation. Polyester batting that isn't needle-punched or treated with bonding agents can't take machine agitation. (Top loaders are hard on all kinds of quilts.) Most likely many of the commercial comforters have this kind of batting.

I think I would still take a chance and wash/dry myself rather than dry cleaning. However, I would use a top-loading washing machine and do all the agitation by hand. The method requires filling the machine with soap and water, turning the machine off, adding the comforter, hand agitating by pushing down on the quilt, turning the machine to "spin", adding rinse water, turning off the machine, hand agitating, turning the machine to "spin", etc. The idea is to skip all the machine agitation cycles of the machine. Spinning is not hard on a comforter the way that machine agitation is.

With a commercial comforter, I would not trust even the milder agitation of a front-loading machine; if the batting is polyester without needle-punching or bonding agents, I would be afraid that even that much agitation would cause the batting to lump.

It's probably a good idea to search the comforter for a "contents" tag. If there's a lot of rayon in the comforter's fabric, that might be another problem for washing because rayon can shrink a *lot*. I would not be as concerned about primarily cotton fabric shrinking. The biggest problem is the batting, I think.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by Greenheron
Whatever cleaning method you use, when it is clean make a removable cover for it (like a giant envelope with ties or buttons on the end. You could even piece one side of the cover. With care only the cover will be soiled and easily washed. My mother had a satin comforter for over 50 years and the removable cover kept it clean and unworn.
That is called a Duvet Cover.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:19 PM

Thank you all for the ideas. I love the idea of a cover, but he specifically picked this one out for the seashells as I am crazy about the beach. I like the idea of spot cleaning it, it is mostly the top edge, and then putting it out in the sunshine, for starters anyway.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:26 PM

I also do not see any fiber content label, just dry clean only. The outside is cotton, feels like it could be 100%, there is not much quilting which does concern me.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:20 PM

If it doesn't need to be cleaned right away, you could be looking for fabric to make a cover, and have your BF help you look and find one he likes. Then get the cover made, and clean it just before putting the new cover on!