Dry Eyes and Deyhydration

Old 05-15-2011, 04:06 PM

Does anybody know if dehydration can cause dry eyes? I know I don't think enough water. I am a serious Diet Pepsi drinker. Some days I'm really good about making sure I drink water too, but other days I don't drink any.
Old 05-15-2011, 04:14 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MommaDorian
Does anybody know if dehydration can cause dry eyes? I know I don't think enough water. I am a serious Diet Pepsi drinker. Some days I'm really good about making sure I drink water too, but other days I don't drink any.
No!

Are you talking about the medical condition dry eye syndrome, or just that your eyes seem dry and sore and tired?

Some causes ...
* natural aging process, ie menopause
* side effect from medications
* dry, dusty windy conditions
* air conditioning, dry heat in homes, staring into a computer too much (not blinking enough!)
* sympton of medical conditions
* extensive period fo time wearing contact lens

If you, please do not self diagnose ... go to a qualified professional for a proper diagnosis. Your eyes are too valuable!
Old 05-15-2011, 04:53 PM

Actually, it can cause dry eyes. I went in for an eye eval when I was having trouble focusing on the TV in the evenings. At the time I was on a diuretic for my blood pressure. She said that the diuretic could be contributing to my focusing problem and recommended eye drops for dry eyes. I think trying those would be a good place to start (artificial tears type) or if you have allergies, they make some drops specifically for allergy eyes. Also adding water in between sodas could make a big difference. If this doesn't help then make sure you get evaluated soon.
Old 05-15-2011, 05:11 PM

Also, one quick way to know if you aren't drinking enough water is to check the color of your urine. If it's a deep golden yellow, you really need more water and lots of it. Should be a pale yellow.

And yes, do drink water between sodas. That Diet Pepsi has a nasty chemical in it called Aspartame, also has other names and they seem to change it every time lots of folks get smart about it.
Has a lot of bad side effects, too many to list here. Check it out on the Internet.
Old 05-15-2011, 05:17 PM

Of course dehydration would affect your eyes! If your body doesn't have enough water, your eyes won't either. Drinking more water is the best solution, but even Diet Pepsi is still mostly water, so drinking enough of that should keep you hydrated. (I agree with the person who warns against ingesting more aspartame, though.)

Dry eyes can also be due to health problems, though, so if it's persistent, better tell your doctor.
Old 05-15-2011, 05:20 PM

I have gluacoma and my eyes get dry very easy. I am to take eye drops at least every hour when on computer or reading. plus reseasis two times a day. (dr. prescribed) computers are very bad for eyes.
Old 05-15-2011, 05:21 PM
Power Poster

yep , for every pepsi you drink, drink one tall glass of water. for a start! i'm bad about drinking enough water and here in Colorado it's very dry. I miss humidity.
Old 05-15-2011, 05:23 PM

I've had dry eyes for a number of years, also very light sensitive. This is because I have Graves disease, more commonly known as hyperthyroidism. So can be medical, see your doc, please. If nothing else doc can give you good drops for it or recommend some that are OTC.
Old 05-15-2011, 05:37 PM

Don't mess with this condition, go to the eye doctor, NOW. Dry eyes can be the warning sign of something else wrong with the body.
Old 05-15-2011, 06:44 PM

One thing thsat I found out that does a number for me on my fibromyalgia is drinking pop that has aspartame, and of the low cal sweetners, equal, sweet and low. I find that everytime I use something that has it in it I get really bad. so am making more of an effort not to drink that stuff. Dr. also told me if you quit the pop you could lose 30 lb in one year.