Dyson? or Shark?

Old 06-13-2014, 08:56 AM

I'm thinking I need a new vac and the Shark sounds good. Apparently there are different models (haven't researched them yet)....which are the ones you who have one, like best? TIA!!
Old 06-13-2014, 09:15 AM

I have two dyson's a cylinder and an upright, both the animal version. I have two German Shedders and both work great on the hair. The cylinder version is easier to manoeuvre on stairs, apart from that not much between them. The cylinder model is 12 years old and is as powerful as the day it eas bought.
Old 06-13-2014, 09:57 AM
Power Poster

I have two Dysons. One is the big purple one we got when we had the big hairy German Shepherd. It worked very well for years with all that hair that never stopped. After he went to doggie heaven, I got myself the Dyson slim which is cordless. It goes all over my house without needing recharging and it is small but strong enough to get up whatever mess Mr. Stitchnripper and I make. Sometimes just for fun we will run the big one. It brings back memories of the dog. I have never had a Shark so can't comment on that.
Old 06-13-2014, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Nammie to 7 View Post
I have a Dyson and really like it. I have 7 cats so it gets used a lot -- the cat hair that I pick up daily is amazing. It also seems to clean deep -- I get a lot of fine dust up every time I clean. It will be interesting to see what the pad and the floor look like when we replace the carpet.
When you replace the carpet - don't be shocked!! Not everything under there came from above. We had ours done several years ago and I was so embarrassed to think that all of that worked its way down. Then DH found an old empty cigarette pack and we realized that some of that (I went with the all of that) was there when they laid the carpet. It's funny because we bought our house new (many, many years ago) and could remember a sound when we walked on a certain spot in the carpet but it went away pretty quickly and we thought it was our imagination.
Old 06-13-2014, 10:03 AM

I bought a Dyson about six months ago, it cleans wonderful but I have RA and it is much to heavy for me and I have a very hard time using it. I very much wish I had bought the Shark. My DD has the Shark and the one she has is much lighter and easier to use and cleans just as well as my Dyson.
Old 06-13-2014, 10:12 AM

I have a Shark and love it. I don't have pet hair, but my hair is all over the place and the Shark really gets it cleaned up
Old 06-13-2014, 10:30 AM

I've had the Dyson Animal 3-4 years now & love it , I also have 2 furry cats & does great getting there hair up . about twice a year I remove the canister take it outside & use the air compresser & blow it out really good.
Old 06-13-2014, 07:14 PM

The Dyson has a tendency to plug up because of the filter placement; I have the Shark Vacuum and the Steamer and I love it. Hands down, I say Shark
Old 06-13-2014, 08:17 PM

Shark. Hands down - get a Shark. I love mine and it's WWWWAAAAAYYY less expensive. You'll be very happy with it.

Jane
Old 06-13-2014, 09:56 PM
Power Poster

I vote Kenmore canister. My first one lasted 30 years and if I had taken better care of it, I would still be using it. I have had kids, dogs and cats and it cleaned up hair, dirt, etc with ease