e-books

Old 05-09-2010, 03:21 AM
Banned

Has any of you printed an ebook. I saw one advertised that you download and print. Cost was $24.95. I thought ebooks were supposed to be more economical. I figure the total cost would be: Download: 24.95, paper: 2.00, ink: $10. (if took 1/3 cartridge; $8.00 to spiral bind it or less if punch holes and put in binder. So a book which would cost me 25.95 less my LQS discount would cost. $44.95 if I downloaded it. . Is my thinking correct?
Old 05-09-2010, 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by Holice
Has any of you printed an ebook. I saw one advertised that you download and print. Cost was $24.95. I thought ebooks were supposed to be more economical. I figure the total cost would be: Download: 24.95, paper: 2.00, ink: $10. (if took 1/3 cartridge; $8.00 to spiral bind it or less if punch holes and put in binder. So a book which would cost me 25.95 less my LQS discount would cost. $44.95 if I downloaded it. . Is my thinking correct?
I only download free ebooks, and than leave them on my computer to read on the road, I have a laptop. Others use the Kindle reader or other portable e reader. Printing them off is going to be expensive. You may as well order the printed version. :-D :-D Just my thoughts.
Old 05-09-2010, 03:39 AM

I listen to audio books quite frequently because of a vision problem. I think the most economical way to find them is through PaperbackSwap.com.

It is a national book swap club. You sign up and join then when you post 10 books you get the first 2 credits free. After that you get a credit for every book you send or you can buy credits. Audio books are worth 2 credits either to send or receive.

There are almost 4 1/2 million books available right now! There are thousands of maembers. I heard about this on one of the morning shows and love it!

The sender pays the postage which is usually around $2.50.
http://www.paperbackswap.com/index.php

I have used this swap for quite a while and have never had a problem. There are certain rules you have to follow, like no water damage, etc. but I have gotten some great books from this club including quilt books. If the book is unavailable you can put it on a wish list and when it becomes available depending on your position in line, you will be notified if you still want the book.

They also have a Swapadvd and SwapaCD club you can also join.
Old 05-09-2010, 03:48 AM

I'd never heard of this, great idea for the sewing room also. I'm going to bookmark this site, thanks! :thumbup:
Old 05-09-2010, 03:49 AM

I love Paperbackswap too.
Old 05-09-2010, 07:36 AM
Power Poster

What a great idea. (she says as she looks at two bookcases of paperbacks :lol: :lol: ) I'm checking this out. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 05-09-2010, 08:36 AM

Many e-books are not available as printed copies from your LQS because is cheaper for the author and they don't need to print copies that may or may not sold, specially for new authors. If it is not available on print, one option is just to save it on the computer and read it there rather than printing the whole thing...I still like my hard copies too.
Old 05-09-2010, 08:59 AM

I like e-books cause I usually can't wait to get it--instant gratification. I only print the pages of the patterns I want. A lot of times they charge a discounted price for the downloaded version of the book and that's what I look for. I did however, have a hiccup with one book. The site I ordered it from only uses Adobe Digital Editions. I had to print out the book in 2 parts and then I didn't get the last 2 pages. When I went back to print the last 2 pages, it wouldn't let me and that was the pattern I wanted the most! I did email the site (CT Publishing) and complained and they were glad to email me the last 2 pages! It was a good outcome but I think I will stay away from anything that downloads with Digital Editions...I'll stick to my regular PDF downloads.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:08 AM
Banned

my library has a program where you can download free ebooks and transfer them to nook or ereader..not compatible with kindle...lots and lots to choose from and all free ..check with your library