Which E-Reader

Old 08-23-2015, 07:34 AM
Power Poster

Amazon has thousands of free books to download for Kindle. We are a Kindle family too. Kindle Fire was on special last week for $69. I bought several for Christmas gifts. Who wouldn't like a new tablet? It has a camera, front and back, plays movies, has a browser, email and oh yeah holds thousands of books.
I use Pixle of Ink website to know all the free Kindle books available for the day.
Old 08-23-2015, 07:41 AM

I have both the Kindle paper white keyboard and the Kindle Fire. I actually prefer the older Kindle paper white keyboard because it is easier on the eyes, you can read it outdoors when it is sunny, and most importantly the battery lasts for a couple of weeks which is great when you are traveling and can't plug it in daily. I also like the feature to be able to increase the font size in the evenings when my eyes are tired! So easy to download books to it. Also we have 6 family members connected on our Amazon account and that way we just buy the book once and can download it to all 6 Kindles or whoever of the 6 wants to read it!!
Old 08-23-2015, 09:21 AM

Thank you for mentioning this as I also have issues with trying to read in the sun. Outside camping is when I mostly read.. Does it have a delete button, and can I use e-pub.
Originally Posted by notmorecraft View Post
I have had Sony E reader-issues in bright sunlight, kindle mark two-was good, damaged screen, kindle paper white, which I love as you can read it in any lighting including bright sunlight, or in the middle of the night when I can't sleep and it does not disturb my husband.
Old 08-23-2015, 02:13 PM

I have a Kindle Fire, too. It has a delete button.
Old 08-24-2015, 04:14 AM

I have a Nook tablet and I love it. I can read outside or late at night with no problem. I have gotten many free or inexpensive books from b&n. If you get a tablet you can download the kindle or Nook app.
Old 08-24-2015, 05:57 AM

My husband bought me a Nexus for my birthday. Was disappointed because I thought I wanted a Kindle because of name recognition only. Looking back my Nexus is great. Has greater capacity and I can use it as a computer too. I am absolutely clueless in the techie dept., but friends who aren't have looked at my Nexus and said it was superior to the Kindle. Got mine at Staples . Order from Amazon all time.
Old 08-24-2015, 06:14 AM

I have owned four Kindles. Love, love, love them!
Old 08-24-2015, 06:53 AM

I am on my second Kindle and I really like it. I download books all the time, mainly through bookbub.com. When you order a book through Amazon it is downloaded to the Amazon Cloud and to your Kindle (the device). When you are finished with the book you can delete it from the device but it is still in the Cloud. To permanently delete it you have to go online and delete it there. You can do this either on your computer or by going online on our Kindle.

I notice, however, that you are in Canada. I did discover when trying to purchase a Kindle for my niece in Ontario that Amazon does not have agreements with libraries in Canada so someone in Canada with a Kindle would not be able to download books from his or her local library system. If you plan to use your library system a Kindle would not be good for you. Check out Kobo at your Chapters bookstores on on line.
Old 08-24-2015, 08:41 AM

I bought a Kindle Fire a year ago and love it. I too use bookbub.com and have several books in the Cloud. I never thought I would use for games but have several of those on Kindle as well. My son used mine at family gathering one weekend and asked for one for Christmas (he is a computer programmer). I use to check out library books all the time and love the ability to connect to wi-fi at home and be able to read emails and look up stuff online without having to go to computer room.
Old 08-24-2015, 09:22 AM

Would this work on a Samsung tablet. Got one for xmas and I never use it. Seems a shame not to find a use for it.
Originally Posted by donac View Post
I have a Nook tablet and I love it. I can read outside or late at night with no problem. I have gotten many free or inexpensive books from b&n. If you get a tablet you can download the kindle or Nook app.