e-readers advice please

Old 06-30-2012, 09:26 AM

Can't comment on a real kindle, but i have the app. on my smartphone. Even with the smaller screen i can't believe how much easier it is to read.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:38 AM

I have the Kindle and Ipad2. I recommend the Ipad2.
Old 06-30-2012, 11:22 AM

I have ipad2. The feature I like best is that you can have the screen black and the words lit up. It is very easy on the eyes.
Old 06-30-2012, 01:57 PM

My husband is visually impared and he loves his Kindle fire (he only uses the book part).

My daughters have Nook, and that looked good too.

I download lots of free stuff and check out library digital books to read for myself on the free Amazon Kindle program for PC.

Hey, you live in Adalaide SA, I have a cousin that lives there.
Old 06-30-2012, 02:09 PM
QKO

I'd suggest an Android tablet. Go to a computer store, try out the different ones and choose the one that seems best for your purposes and budget. All of them will support a multitude of free reader software, making the words as large as you want, backlighting, etc. There are different models that have different size screens, different features, and different prices. Most of them are a lot cheaper than iPad and do all the same things and more than an iPad.

You can download free reader software to get free content or to purchase content.

On my Toshiba Thrive android tablet I use Nook, Kindle, and Aldiko readers, all of which were free downloads. I have read a lot of books and magazines on these and have never paid a dime for content, although there is plenty of paid content available. It's also good to have multiple readers if you are purchasing content -- often the same content will be a lot cheaper on one reader's store than on the other ones.

Many libraries have books available for download for free, but often they do not support Kindle or Nook data formats. This is another reason why it is good to have other reader software available.

Good luck!

Last edited by QKO; 06-30-2012 at 02:12 PM.
Old 07-01-2012, 05:27 AM

I pad, definitely! You can do so much more than read books but it's great for that also
Old 07-01-2012, 07:06 AM

My husband and I both have a Kindle Touch which works great since we read many of the same books and share the account. I also have some patterns on it. I recently purchased an ASUS TF300 Tablet with an attachable keyboard. It works just like an IPAD but has storable cards and the detachable keyboard. The battery life for the tablet is 8 hrs and approx additional 9 hrs if the keyboard is attached. I can use it like a laptop, a tablet, or a kindle. The tablet was less than the IPAD. I'm very satisfied with both units.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
I got the Kindle Keyboard. no light but you can change the Font size larger, which i did.
I have that also and love it - - - another idea (though not as portable) - you can download (free) the PC application from
Amazon onto your computer and then download and read books on it and adjust the size as well as the background color. I did that before I got my Kindle, and I still use it for recipe books or some quilt books so I can print out pages if I want to use them for a reference elsewhere.

Marysewfun
Old 07-01-2012, 08:53 AM

I have both an iPad and a Kindle, and to me the Kindle is much better for reading. The feature that a lot of people like on the iPad and Nook, that is a back-lit screen, is what I DON'T like about reading on the iPad. It makes my eyes very tired a lot faster.
Old 07-01-2012, 09:19 AM

I have a Kobo and I love it....looked at/tested several...the size options that they give you for print is fantastic...Love mine