Earthquake on East Coast

Old 08-23-2011, 05:46 PM

Yes I sure did feel it. I live in Elkton, Md and I was sitting here at the computer and Boy at first I thought they might be moving some kind of big machinery or working in the fields behind us and then I thought maybe the frige was about ready to go . But I new it was a quake when the house was really shaking and I looked out on the porch and saw things shaking. It was somewhat unnerving. LOL ..But the 911 center had called and let us know what was going on. then they called 2 more times to tells check for damages and call this # and also that there might be an after tremor.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:30 PM

I didn't feel it at first but my granddaughter was downstairs yelling "Why is the table shaking???????????!!!!!!!!!!!!" Then I felt it. Shook the whole house--a couple of my sewing things fell off the wall but it was over so quickly thank God! This is the 3rd one I've felt in my area (Columbia MD) but this one was by far the worse!
Old 08-23-2011, 06:47 PM

My son works about 5 blocks from the White House, and he called me just as he was feeling the last of the tremor...which he said was about 30 seconds long. His first earthquake...we do get them here in Nebraska, but have never experienced one myself. He was a little weirded out about the whole thing. His office building evacuated, but then I saw some woman on tv saying that is not the correct thing to do. I know what to do in a tornado, but never had to practice earthquake drills as a kid...LOL.
Hope everyone was okay out that way!
Old 08-23-2011, 07:03 PM

I hope everyone was ok and no real damage. BIG HUG to all that could use one!! ;-)
Old 08-23-2011, 07:12 PM

A little comic relief - my husband was home alone and heard a table and it's contents rattling. He thought there was a robber in the house, and he bounded into the living room ready to defend his homestead! He said he felt pretty foolish after.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by hannajo
A little comic relief - my husband was home alone and heard a table and it's contents rattling. He thought there was a robber in the house, and he bounded into the living room ready to defend his homestead! He said he felt pretty foolish after.
I would have paid to see that one!! HA! Glad you're ok though.. :XD: