Earthquake in Oklahoma

Old 11-05-2011, 09:08 PM

Default Earthquake in Oklahoma

How many felt it? I was reading in bed and it started shaking! Told the husband "We are having an earthquake." We got up, he grabbed the police scanner, I got on the computer and went to USGS, turned on the tv. Then answered the phone..youngest daughter all excited. Time to go back to bed and finished that chapter. Sylvia was reading the journal. LOL
Old 11-05-2011, 09:20 PM
Banned

don't know where you are, but I posted earlier that we felt it at 10:55pm up here in Enid...strong...poor fish in my little tank on a shelf...not happy at all..ehhehe
Old 11-05-2011, 10:25 PM

Hope everyone is ok. I keep telling myself we need to get serious abour earthquake supplies being out here in SoCal but for some reason we keep forgetting.
Old 11-05-2011, 10:26 PM

Default Craftygran

Originally Posted by Glenda m View Post
How many felt it? I was reading in bed and it started shaking! Told the husband "We are having an earthquake." We got up, he grabbed the police scanner, I got on the computer and went to USGS, turned on the tv. Then answered the phone..youngest daughter all excited. Time to go back to bed and finished that chapter. Sylvia was reading the journal. LOL
First time on here so not sure where I should be typing. I live in Bella Vista, Arkansas and I sure heard and felt the quake tonight. My little dog also woke me up at 2 a.m. when the first one was felt here in Arkansas. Not sure if I can get back to sleep. Maybe I should quilt.
Old 11-05-2011, 10:27 PM

My thoughts are with you. Having been through quite a few major e-quakes in my time they can be unnerving. The note above from Mamatron is good advice for all of us - emergency and earthquake supplies at the ready
Old 11-05-2011, 10:45 PM

I am in the Texas panhandle area, we had an earthquake a few years back, it sure was a strange feeling...at 1st I thought I had put in a load of wash and maybe my machine was way off kilter (big lol, especially as that wouldn't happen anyway). I think it registered around 3 on the richter scale, which I know is small, but considering where I am, it was odd to us! Now if it is a tornado or a prairie grass fire, those we are used to watching out for, and praying they don't come along...
Take care all,
Kif

Last edited by kiffie2413; 11-05-2011 at 10:47 PM.
Old 11-06-2011, 03:02 AM

I was on the disaster planning board a few years ago. We met for weeks and it was only by my stubborn insistence that earthquakes were even included on the list of possible events. This was north of Atlanta and these men couldn't even imagine we could have an earthquake. Big fault runs under Atlanta. I wonder if the quake in Washington, D.C. made an impression on those 'planners'.
Old 11-06-2011, 03:10 AM

My niece who is a nurse in Dallas felt the trimmer at the Dallas hospital where she works. She said it feels very weird being on the seventh floor during the trimmer.
Old 11-06-2011, 03:57 AM

My wife felt it down here in Frederick (southwest) OK.

I slept through it.....and she had to wake me up to tell me about it....

CD in Oklahoma
Old 11-06-2011, 04:12 AM

Having grown up in CA. I am very used to earthquakes. They are very unsettling : ) and pretty scary for anyone that has not experienced one. We live in AZ now and I honestly thought my earthquakes days were over, but ... then a few years ago, I was sitting in my chair and it began to move, and it was an earthquake. The only thing was it was an earthquake in CA, that we felt all the way over here!

I guess the thing that really amazes me, is we can predict the tornados, hurricanes, etc, but there is really no way to predict an earthquake. Really no way to prepare for it, it just happens out of the blue.

I hope everyone is ok, and there was not alot of damage in OK due to this. Sometimes they can be very destructive as well.