Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
East coast heat  wave.............PLEASE be careful >

East coast heat wave.............PLEASE be careful

East coast heat wave.............PLEASE be careful

Old 07-05-2010, 12:09 PM
Banned

The east coast is having a heat wave for the next week or so. Temp in the 100's. Ohio is the mid west but we are getting the heat too. Please be VERY careful. 16 years ago New York was having a heat wave. My Grandmother had AC in PART of top/3rd floor apartment in NY. She thought she was cool enough, she thought wrong. I spoke to granny several times eveyday. That day it was as always she was fine and we talked for awhile. It was dinner time we would talk again later. (I was the only family member who checked on her everyday we were VERY VERY close) Granny was going from the AC part to the un AC part of her apartment to eat dinner so we got off the phone. An hour later I called her back, granny said she couldn't talk she had to take care of the baby. WHAT BABY???????????? I called granny's neighbor who went to check on granny. Within minutes granny was on her way to the ER. Granny suffered heat stroke while eating dinner in the un AC part of her apartment. Granny never come home, I miss her each and everyday.

Heat stroke comes on fast you don't know it is even happening. You feel hot then you start to cool off so you think you will be Ok but you are cooling off because you are going into shock.

PLEASE BE CAREFUL...................
Old 07-05-2010, 12:11 PM
Google Goddess

Everyone be careful

When hubby & I was at the ER yesterday, they were busy with heat stroke patients.
Old 07-05-2010, 01:01 PM

Thanks Truepeach. My DD left me a note this morning letting me know how hot it was to get. DH worked on a roof in the hills till about 11:00 and came home. He was going to work on our roof and I said absolutely not, too hot. He listened. Took a nap instead.

My inside thermometer says it is 94* outside and 84* inside. The outside thermometer reads 98* in the half shade.

Be careful everyone. Take extra precautions. Drink water before you are thirsty. It will help prevent dehydration. If you drink when you get thirsty, chances are you are already dehydrated. Avoid sugary drinks and alcohol.

I'm sorry Trupeach about Granny. What a heartbreaker.
Old 07-05-2010, 01:06 PM

I just hope we don't get hit with a heat wave... This apartment is always hot, and we always have the air on... and it keeps it from being boiling... But if we hit 95... we are in trouble... it's 90 here already...
Old 07-05-2010, 01:10 PM
Power Poster

The heat has been terrible. Heat exhausion and heat stroke can hit you before you know it. Be careful. And please watch out for your pets too.
Old 07-05-2010, 02:09 PM

This far north, most of us do not have AC, not even window units. I'm sitting "upwind" of a fan with two shedding cats lying between it and me and I'm starting to understand exactly what it feels like to have fur all over your body!! :roll: Stay safe all and let's just hope the power stays on!! :shock:
Old 07-05-2010, 02:11 PM

I am so sorry for your loss. Our local newscast is giving out repeated warnings and what to do in the heat. They are urging people without A/C to go to the mall, or movies or senior centers. Today was the hottest day in Manchester in t years. Unfortunately tomorrow is supposed to be a few degrees hotter with high humidty! I think I am moving to the North Pole and live with the polar bears (if only I could find a way to convince them NOT to eat me! LOL)
Old 07-05-2010, 02:20 PM

It's always hot and sticky here in Florida. You get used to it. Dress lightly, drink lots of water, wear sunscreen 24/7 and find some a/c. And pray a hurricane doesn't hit and knock your power out for four days in August. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt(s).
Old 07-05-2010, 02:23 PM

I checked the house thermostat, it's only five degrees cooler in the apartment... than out side... 85 degrees... no wonder I feel sick. Been drinking water all day.
Old 07-05-2010, 02:36 PM

Yes, please be careful. I had a heat stroke years ago and to this day still get really sick if I get overheated. (that's one of the reasons I don't garden). Stay hydrated and cool.