Easter Customs

Old 04-23-2011, 03:39 PM

We always had Easter nests growing up and made them outside and the Easter bunny would put treats in them. One year we found newborn baby rabbits in ours at Grandmas house. To say we were excited is putting it mildly! At Easter Sunrise service we told all our little friends. Of course they didn't believe we had real live Easter bunnies so we told them to come see after church. They came and saw nothing! Dad said the Mommy bunny came and took them home with her. He told me many years later the dogs ate them..... I wish he hadn't.
On a happier note ... for dinner we had ham, asparagus, plenty more and ended with carrot cake with little green coconut nests on top filled with tiny jellybeans. For church a new dress sewn by Grandma and of course a hat.
We hoped it didn't snow, but sometimes did and we celebrated anyway bundled up and digging the eggs out of the drifts.
When my own children came along I always sewed matching outfits for them at holidays. Wonderful memories :)
What do you remember?
Old 04-23-2011, 04:07 PM

I made easter dress for my grand kids and one of the girls started to make them for her girls and one of our great ladies here dent me the pattern for the dasy kingson with some fabric I got from her so sent it to the only one of the girls that could sew along with the fabric to make two for her grand kids. I though it was kind of neet
Old 04-23-2011, 05:03 PM

I remember when I was little...probably 6 or 7 IF that old. We lived in some apartments a few doors down from my grandma. Just outside her kitchen door, she had a little tiny flower garden. She grew the most beautiful red flowers that I can't seem to remember the name of them they were red and had several petals all over oh man I wish I could remmber the name of them I just loved them to death, but she also had I think jade plants mixed in with them. There was a little white wired picket fence around the little garden and Come Easter Morning, we would go to grandmas ( oh my grandma also had a daughter my age) but we would all go outside and we would have us a little easter hunt and we would find our Easter Baskets hidden amongst the flowers.

Dog gone it...I can picture the flowers in my head and when we go to the store and they have some outside, I always tell my husband..oh I love those flowers they remind me of Easter at my grandmas house and that one day I want to plant some. I just asked him what they were and he doesn't know so that kind of tells me HE NEVER LISTENED. LOL. They are red and they have tiny petals like randomly on the top of the stem and they are maybe 1/2 inch petals. I will remember them.

When my kids were growing up, I always made them an Easter Basket. My kids rarely got candy or sweets. It was just my preference to not give them much sweets. But they did always get some jelly beans and eggs and a chocolate bunny but in moderation... AND ALWAYS EVERY SINGLE YEAR no matter what, They always got a brand new toothbrush and a brand new tube of toothpaste. (They got new ones every couple of months, but since they were getting candy, it just helped them to remember to brush their teeth after eating candy. Over the years, they new that there was going to be a toothbrush in their Easter Baskets AND in their Christmas Stockings. Without Fail.
When they were babies, I did Easter Baskets for them then too. Instead of putting candy in their baskets, I would put a few jars of baby food in them instead along with a new bib, and a new toy. You have to be creative when it comes to kids thats for sure.

And at Christmas time, I make my kids "care packages" which include stuff that they have to buy all the time. It just makes it nice for them to not have to buy some of the stuff. But I put in, toilet paper, laundry soap, dish soap, shampoo, conditioner, room spray, bath soap, toothpaste, ziploc baggies, garbage bags, and this past year, I put in cooking spray, olive oil, sugar, coffee, chocolate stuff like that. Stuff that is needed all year long.

OH OH I just remembered the name of the flowers GERANIUMS.
Old 04-23-2011, 06:08 PM

My mother always made my sister and me a new dress for Easter. Going to church, then being with cousins for an egg hunt.
Old 04-23-2011, 06:33 PM
dd

My older brother and I had matching baskets. I swear he always ate out of mine when I wasn't looking because his always seemed to last longer but he was always eating more. We always got new outfits. I had to have a hat, gloves and purse to go with my shoes to wear to church. Then to grandmom's for a big dinner with all the family.
Old 04-23-2011, 06:37 PM

I remember one Easter going into church in my new red and white dress and jacket, (but no overcoat) with the sun shining and blue sky. When we came out, it was snowing! I couldn't believe it! I still remember this 50 years later. Another thing I remember is every year, my mother would get us large chocolate covered eggs that had a center that looked like a real egg. It wasn't of course, but it was so cool that it looked that way. I think they were Fanny Farmer.
Old 04-23-2011, 08:37 PM

Another thing I remembered...There were 3 of us girls plus my Aunt (my moms baby sister...I am 2 1/2 months older then her) But my mom and Grandma both dressed all 4 of us in the same dresses. And I believe my mom and grandma both made them. If you think thats strange that my mom and her mom were pregnant at the same time.....my OTHER GRANDMA and my mom were pregnant at the same time too...and my oldest sister and my Uncle are only 3 days apart (my uncle is oldest) Just couldnt imagine being pregnant at the same time as your mom and mother in law...Geez!!!
Old 04-25-2011, 03:53 AM
dd

Originally Posted by Airwick156
Another thing I remembered...There were 3 of us girls plus my Aunt (my moms baby sister...I am 2 1/2 months older then her) But my mom and Grandma both dressed all 4 of us in the same dresses. And I believe my mom and grandma both made them. If you think thats strange that my mom and her mom were pregnant at the same time.....my OTHER GRANDMA and my mom were pregnant at the same time too...and my oldest sister and my Uncle are only 3 days apart (my uncle is oldest) Just couldnt imagine being pregnant at the same time as your mom and mother in law...Geez!!!
Happened quite a lot in my family. I have cousins older than Aunt and uncle. Happened in my husbands family too. His uncle is his best friend, 5 months apart. Seems to be happening again with some of the young girls and second marriages.
I was never dressed like anyone. My siblings were at least 8 years older than me.