Eastern Shore, VA

Old 08-17-2014, 09:25 AM

Default Eastern Shore, VA

Hubby and I will be attending a family reunion the first of Oct in VA. We usually like to go a day or two early and see something new. He is from HI and gets excited to see anything in the East. Any recommendations for Eastern Shore? Hotels, restaurants, must sees??
Old 08-17-2014, 12:43 PM

You aren't that far from Va Beach. If you google Eastern Shore its such a torist spot I'm sure you'll get lots of suggestions.
Old 08-17-2014, 05:50 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

The Eastern Shore is not a terribly developed place. The people are of proud heritage and have kept the small town feel of their towns, which are mostly find on the western side (Chesapeake Bay). The seafood is found in local places with little atmosphere but glorious food. There are few, if any, resort-y, beach-and-pool type places to stay, but many bed and breakfast places. One main highway goes right up the middle of the peninsula with much smaller (some gravel) roads off toward the shores.

Do your quilting searches in VA Beach before you cross the Bay Bridge.

Jan in VA
Old 08-18-2014, 03:18 AM

We have a number of folks that come from eastern shore VA to visit the quilt shop called Serendipity Quilt Shop in Dagsboro, DE 31821 Cannon St, next door to the movie theater. You may even meet me there!
Old 08-18-2014, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by Lena1952 View Post
We have a number of folks that come from eastern shore VA to visit the quilt shop called Serendipity Quilt Shop in Dagsboro, DE 31821 Cannon St, next door to the movie theater. You may even meet me there!
Haven't been to this shop but we love to stop in Delaware at Lums Pond State Park when we can. it's near Dover, DE but we have visited Kiptopeake State Park several times while traveling through on the Eastern Shore. We thought Cape Charles was interesting (dredging wasn't pretty) with some businesses opening a few years ago.
Old 08-18-2014, 06:06 AM

I'll second Serendipity Quilt Shop. I usually stop there at least 1x/yr when we are in OC, MD. I think this is the first year I didn't make it. Only because I had no project that I was at purchasing stage at that point. And I'm only a project buyer - not a stash buyer.
Old 08-18-2014, 08:54 AM

Depending on where you're going to be, I would recommend Chincoteague (wild ponies on the beach) and the town of Onley. It's an old fishing village with some beautiful, massive old sea captains' houses overlooking the Bay. There is a first-rate antiques shop there and a nice small historical museum.

If you're into antiques, check out the Blue Crow antiques mall right on Rt. 13 in Painter.

The Eastern Shore (I live here) is a fabulous place to be in October -- just hope for no hurricanes!

Enjoy your visit!
Old 08-18-2014, 02:49 PM

I also recommend Chincoteague. It is unique. If you're interested in shopping, there's The Country House in Salisbury, MD. It is huge and has beautiful things. Enjoy yourselves!
Old 08-18-2014, 07:03 PM

Is it the town of Chincoteague or the Island of Chincoteague?
Old 08-19-2014, 06:27 AM

Chincoteague is a town on an island of the same name. It's also a National Wildlife Refuge. Though it's an island, it's connected to the mainland by a causeway. The town is tiny, but the beach is gorgeous. Not sure how long the hotels stay open after the summer season ends. If you plan to stay, check ahead of time.