Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Electric Quilt programs are addicting! >

Electric Quilt programs are addicting!

Electric Quilt programs are addicting!

Old 06-24-2011, 05:29 AM

I have recently acquired EQ5 (with the 6 upgrade) and have beebn playing around with the thing now for a few days. THEN I saw Town & Country by EQ and ordered that, too. I decided to start with the EQ5 before installing the 6 because I figure I could get all my basics down first before using up a download. Been taking the THICK book to my kids softball/baseball games, and everything asks me if I'm taking a class. Have to laugh at the look on their faces when I tell them I'm studying electronic quilting. :) I also installed the Town & Country, and I'll tell ya, these programs are just AWESOME. I already fudged my way through making a replica of my antique Bear's Paw quilt, and found a small wallhanging on the T&C that looks exactly like my house - mountains with pine trees and a house on one hill with a church on the other (almost scary how much it looks like home!). Played around with color, and already have it printed out to do my foundations (I prefer the freezer paper technique rather than the regular paper piecing).

Anyway, sorry for rambling, but just wanted to say if anyone's ever thought of trying an E quilt program, go for it! The Town & Country is a great way to give it a try since it's on Amazon for only $11.99.
Old 06-24-2011, 05:36 AM

I know what you mean. I had Quilt Wizard and loved it. So I got EQ7 and I'm having a blast. My DH asked if I was going to try and sell my designs because there is no way I can make all those quilts I designed. I told him I was going to try and make as many as I can.
Old 06-24-2011, 05:51 AM

I *adore* EQ! When I bought my quilting machine, there was a brochure about EQ6 in with the paperwork (the lady I bought it from kept everything she got from the dealer). I asked her about it and she said it was one of the best resources she purchased.

I barely scratch the surface of what the software can do, but man, do I love it! Even my daughter and husband enjoy designing in it! (Hubby is my creative assistant- he's got an incredible eye for color & pattern)
Old 06-24-2011, 06:45 AM

Love, love, love EQ! Playing with it now to try and figure out some borders for a quilt center that I've had for years. No matter what border I have sewed together for this thing I've hated it! So no more cutting until I know what I want! :shock: :lol: :lol:
Old 06-24-2011, 07:05 AM

Another addict, here. :) I like making "virtual" quilts as much as I like making fabric ones. (darn it!)

I just finished doing a "class in a book" called "Applique Drawing" by Angie Padilla - http://www.amazon.com/Appliqu%C3%A9-...8927336&sr=8-1

I learned so much about where the tools are and what they do! This is one the things I wanted so much to bring into my quilting - my own drawings and the ability to mix elements and re-arrange stock blocks to make something else.

It's really the most fun I've ever had with software! :)
Old 06-24-2011, 07:17 AM

My good friend purchased a copy of EQ7 as a gift, but I am struggling with playing with it.

I am normally good at software, but I think I may need to take a class or sit down with someone who has the hang of this for a few hours to get the basics down.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:41 AM

I started with quilt wizard, but was frustrated with its limitations, so when I recently received some unexpected extra $$, I bought EQ7. I have played with it some, and like it much better than QW. I have so many projects I want to do that I have trouble finding time to do everything.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by sgardner
My good friend purchased a copy of EQ7 as a gift, but I am struggling with playing with it.
I know what you mean. As much as I love EQ, I will be the first to admit that it is NOT very intuitive and the learning curve can go just about vertical, at times.

Have you watched all the videos that are built in to the program? They might make little sense to you the first time you see them, so watch all of them and then go back and watch them again.

The help files are enormous, but unfortunately, you do have to know what term or phrase to search for - or else a search of the help files is less than helpful. ;) Sometimes, I know what I want to do, but I can't figure out what EQ calls it - and when I finally do find it, I can't imagine why it's called that and why it can't come up in a simple search in plain language.

There are lots of sections in the Help files - I like the "How Do I" bits - just pick some at random and read them. If nothing else, you'll find out something you can use later on.

I just decided today to get the book out of the box and see what's in there. Usually, the book is just a printed version of what's in the help files, but that might not be the case. Maybe the book is more like the lesson book I just finished, in which case, I will actually learn some stuff.

Don't give up, though - I do know that it can be frustrating - if it's not the hardest program I've ever tried to learn, it's probably close to it. :?

Hang in there and keep playing with it = you'll get it! :)

I just posted a pattern I made in EQ in the free section the other day - I think it's the first one I've made "from scratch." You can see a picture of it on that thread.

I saw a cowboy boot wallhanging and I loved the idea, but I wanted the boot to look more realistic, so I drew it in EQ's Easy Draw. (It's nothing really special - I only point it out to show that when I first started with EQ, I was pulling my hair out at times, but now I can draw blocks from scratch and design a quilt top from them.)

Stick with it. If you have problems with something specific, you can always ask here and someone will help you. :)
Old 06-24-2011, 07:52 AM

I really like the book because I can take it everywhere. It actually walks you through a project step-by-step, then at night or when I have time I sit down at the computer and give it a try. There's just SEW much you can do with this program.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by thepolyparrot
Originally Posted by sgardner
I know what you mean. As much as I love EQ, I will be the first to admit that it is NOT very intuitive and the learning curve can go just about vertical, at times.

The help files are enormous, but unfortunately, you do have to know what term or phrase to search for - or else a search of the help files is less than helpful. ;) Sometimes, I know what I want to do, but I can't figure out what EQ calls it.

Thanks for the offers of help- I will take you up on that next time I play with it. Your last line is EXACTLY my problem- I am looking to save a "file", and expected it to just save my work, only to come in again and find out that I hadn't added my project to the Sketchbook. It's that difference in wording that is nonstandard to the rest of the computer world that makes that learning curve so difficult at this moment. I have watched most of the videos, but now that I've played with it some, they will make more sense when I rewatch them.