Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Embroidery machine question >

Embroidery machine question

Embroidery machine question

Old 12-14-2016, 06:00 PM

Default Embroidery machine question

Do all the machines need the computer?
Old 12-15-2016, 12:59 AM
Administrator

need a computer to do what, exactly?

i don't know of any that must be connected to a computer in order to do the embroidery.
most made nowadays have USB ports so you can connect it to a computer in order to transfer design files, etc.
Old 12-15-2016, 01:15 AM
Power Poster

You can purchase designs in dealer shops, stores and on the internet. You do not need a computer to use an embroidery machine
Old 12-15-2016, 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by sewingsuz View Post
Do all the machines need the computer?
The only reason would be to use an embroidery program to edit designs, digitize your own designs, etc.

Most machines now use a USB stick to transfer designs from your computer (download/purchase/etc) to your embroidery machine.

If your are looking into buying an embroidery machine head to the dealer & ask for a sit down detailed show of the machine. Set up an appointment if necessary & ask the dealer to go over everything so you know what the machine can & can't do & how it's done. Look at the cost of the machine. Stitch area & do NOT assume you will never stitch out or need the large hoops. Most graduate to larger designs. Hoops that come with it & how much those that don't cost. The cost of accessories, stabilizers, designs, etc. Then try to get the best price with any accessories included. I got a lower price & a Jumbo hoop (they can cost upwards of $400.00!). Try to buy when the dealer is having a big sale or in-store discount. If you aren't comfortable wit that dealer find another. A good dealer & also a good machine mechanic is important as well.
Old 12-15-2016, 07:16 AM

I don't know of any embroidery machines that require a computer. However, I also don't know of any machines that have very many built in embroidery designs. I have a Brother PE770 which is a single needle machine with about 50 designs in it. I buy other designs that I want and store them on my computer. When I am ready to stitch the design I transfer it to a USB stick and take the USB to my machine. I believe this is how most home embroidery machines work, or at least similarly. I have a free program on my computer that allows me to make printouts or limited modifications to my purchased designs, but I rarely use it. My computer is only where I store the designs I buy. Hope this helps.
Old 12-15-2016, 09:22 AM

Thanks You for all the information. I have a mac and will the downloads work the same.
Old 12-15-2016, 09:56 AM

If you want a lot of low priced or free designs try ArtisticTreadWorks.com
Old 12-15-2016, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by sewingsuz View Post
Thanks You for all the information. I have a mac and will the downloads work the same.
I am not familiar with mac, but I know that the download from the internet will probably be different. The best place to ask these questions is at emblibrary.com. You can send an email to [email protected] and ask them. Emblibrary is a great place to buy designs at reasonable prices, and they helped me when I had questions.
Old 12-15-2016, 06:41 PM

The majority of embroidery designs you buy now come either on a CD or USB stick or download. You do need a computer to get the design to whatever format you use in the embroidery machine. As to whether a MAC will work or not I don't know, but as long as it would read the CD or USB and allow you to transfer the design from it to however you actually transfer the design to the machine, whether it be USB, CD or card, it should work. If it's a downloaded design, you still will need to be able to unzip and transfer that to your machine. And some of the Singer embroidery machines DO need to be connected to the computer to transfer the designs--a friend of mine has one.
Old 12-15-2016, 07:09 PM

When I got my Viking embroidery machine I had to get another computer because I had a MacBook and the program at that time for a Mac cost $2800.00. (Much cheaper to get a new lap top than the Mac Program.) I am told that is no longer the case. My machine will let you put one item in at a time if it is on the USB drive. I need to program on the laptop in order to view it on the computer.