Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: embroidery on a thin vinyl backed material

A friend asked me to embroider a name on a small diaper bag that has a stiff woven front fabric and the backling looks and feels like a thin vinyl. I'm concerned about cutting the vinyl backing. It is a "Thirty-one" bag and I sure don't want to mess it up. I know I should not use a very dense font. What type of needle? Any other suggestions? I don't have any similar fabric to test it on. Thank you for any help.

When I do lunch bags with that thin vinyl I use a sticky back stabilizer, then stick it on to the vinyl, not pull it off. So far it has worked. Good luck ~ Pat

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PABerard
    When I do lunch bags with that thin vinyl I use a sticky back stabilizer, then stick it on to the vinyl, not pull it off. So far it has worked. Good luck ~ Pat
    thanks for posting that tip. i was too nervous to embroider on vinyl... now i might try

Blog Entries
    Sometimes when i use the sticky back, it won't come off the vinyl. That happened to a makeup bag and not only did it not come off well, it pulled off some of the vinyl backing. I used a 75/11 Sharp Organ needle and yes, in some instances, it cuts the vinyl. I hate to scare you!!

Have you considered doing an applique instead and use the adhesive backed kind?

Blog Entries
    sdticky bac, but also use a woven type of backing, or just use a denim, something strong, also you might want to use a topper, like a wash away. lighten your stitch count or fill,

I have never done it, but I would use the stick back stablizer, a thin cotton fabric and definitely a topping. Good Luck

Well after doing a little research online, I read to use a medium to heavy cutaway stabilizer, not tear away. The fabric was so stiff I didn't even have to spray it to stick to the fabric. I just hooped the two together. I used a 75 embroidery needle and I'm please with it. I would have probably picked a thicker font since the fabric design is big, but my friend liked the curlz font, so that is what I used. The web handles are dark brown. I attached a picture.

embroidered diaper bag
    Name:  Attachment-272624.jpe
Views: 341
Size:  58.1 KB

Turned out great, I am sure your friend will be pleased.