The End of Summer

Old 10-03-2016, 07:54 AM

Default The End of Summer

So we all made it through the heat of another summer. I love this time of year. Here in New Hampshire the colors of the leaves are changing and there is a crisp, coolness in the air. We garden in the summer, and recently we have been putting our gardens to bed and breaking down patio furniture and putting things away. Every year I have to kill plants that are thriving. This year there was one plant that I just couldn't kill. I purchased a small pot of Lemon Coral at the beginning of summer, intending to create a pot of three different succulents. Very quickly, I realized that the plant would overtake the pot, so I left it by itself. The photo doesn't do it justice. The plant is actually very fleshy, like most succulents. It was so healthy, I didn't have the heart to kill it. The other photos are what is left of my Gerbera Daisies.

On a side note, this past year we bought a 15 foot Trampoline for my grandson. Anybody know how that is supposed to be stored for the winter?
Attached Thumbnails img_20160926_101419.jpg   img_20160926_101239.jpg   img_20160926_103230_burst_01.jpg  
Old 10-03-2016, 08:07 AM

I think you can take the "jumping part" (don't know the technical term for the middle) off and store it, leaving the frame still intact in the yard.

Summer is definitely over here in our neck of the forest. I noticed frost on my husband's truck this morning. Time to get the dog's heated houses ready as well as the heated dog water buckets.
Old 10-04-2016, 03:27 AM

Yeah, our summer is leaving too. Noticed the sweet gum tree is starting to change color and not seeing as many of the humming birds at the feeder.
Old 10-04-2016, 04:55 AM

I'm not sure about your weather there but here I just left mine up from the time it went up until years later when we took it down. I do think there is a cover for it if you don't want to take it down or you get a very large tarp to cover it over the winter time. Here, we have a huricane on its way and still having summer weather. My tomatoes and peppers are still reproducing. I've actually had veggies in Dec still growing in the past. Depends on how are winters go. Most of my herbs have came back for the past couple of years even though they aren't the type that normally come back.

Last edited by romanojg; 10-04-2016 at 04:57 AM.
Old 10-04-2016, 05:47 AM

Fall is my favorite season...the cool crisp air and the changing leaves. I brought in my Rex begonias and a couple other container plants, pleased that all are doing well! The begonias have several light pink flowers on them. This week I will finish the fall decorating inside the house. I have seasonal Dept. 56 items, and they really help bring the season to the inside.
Old 10-04-2016, 05:55 AM
Banned

There has been some snow up in the high country this morning.
I love the early/mid autumn season, but not a fan of the cold and
snow.
Old 10-04-2016, 08:47 AM

Ah fall! I've had the windows open all week and it's wonderful to feel the fresh air pouring in. Yesterday I took down my (outdoor) summer decorations and put up the fall decorations. I then walked around the yard and made notes for DH on where I wanted some bushes moved or planted. We have a persimmon tree in the edge of the yard and I noticed it had more fruit this year. I'm hoping they hang on until after the first frost so I can eat them.
Old 10-04-2016, 09:00 AM

Omg Marge, I haven't heard mention of a persimmon tree in many years. I grew up in South Carolina, and my grandmother used to have a persimmon tree on her property. My sister loved them. I couldn' t get past the bitterness. There was also a fig bush on her property. A fig is a big surprise when it is freshly picked. It tastes like a slimy Kiwi. My favorite thing there were Muscadines and Scuffydines. For those of you who aren't familiar with them--they are from the grape family and are delicious.

Last edited by SewingSew; 10-04-2016 at 09:13 AM.
Old 10-04-2016, 09:04 AM

Thanks for the trampoline suggestions. The concern is that it would buckle under the weight of snow if we just covered it. And the bottom floor was a royal pain to get on, I can't imagine that we could remove it, but that does seem like the best choice.
Old 10-04-2016, 09:12 AM

I am enjoying hearing about fall from the perspective of the different states everyone lives in. Deb, Your Begonias must have been beautiful. The petals are so delicate on those. I have grown an Angel Wing Begonia and the foliage was gorgeous. I love the fall too. It is so refreshing after a long hot summer. I love the smell of the earth and the leaves and pine needles when I walk in the woods. I always feel the urge to bake bread and make soups and casseroles this time of year.