Energy audit/survey?

Old 02-22-2011, 01:00 PM
Banned

I just got a letter from our Electric company saying that they will come out and do a FREE energy audit on our home including cleaning out the furnace, checking for caulking, etc..

Has anyone ever done this? Is it for real?

It is called the Home energy efficiency program!
Old 02-22-2011, 01:04 PM

I had it done a year ago. We had already done much of the stuff but it never hurts to hear from an expert. You might call your power company (if they have a phone #-which many places don't seem to anymore) to be sure.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:09 PM

We had it done, yes it is for real. It was really helpful to see where the money/energy was going. We ended up replacing windows and caulking.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Cherylsea
I had it done a year ago. We had already done much of the stuff but it never hurts to hear from an expert. You might call your power company (if they have a phone #-which many places don't seem to anymore) to be sure.
I called and it is for real. They are booking NOW for appointments in JUNE....by then I might have new windows!
Old 02-22-2011, 01:25 PM

Yep, it is for real. You would be surprised at where you may have sneaky little energy leaks.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
I called and it is for real. They are booking NOW for appointments in JUNE....by then I might have new windows!
Jacquie, which electric company do you use? I'm with OG&E, wonder if they do that. I had new windows put in in 08 but still have huge utility bills and this winter, I've kept it colder than I ever had, trying to save money on elec and gas bill.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Melinda in Tulsa
Jacquie, which electric company do you use? I'm with OG&E, wonder if they do that. I had new windows put in in 08 but still have huge utility bills and this winter, I've kept it colder than I ever had, trying to save money on elec and gas bill.
it is OG&E!
Here is the # to call1-877-430-3936 you have to have your acct # handy when you call!
Old 02-22-2011, 01:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cowpie2
Yep, it is for real. You would be surprised at where you may have sneaky little energy leaks.
no., not surpised at all..this house is a late 70's brick ranch and still the original NON insulated walls, and aluminum framed windows...
Old 02-22-2011, 02:11 PM

If there is a contract involved read it very carefully. I was going to have this done for my Mothers house because of her income. There was a clause in the agreement that if the work done by the contractor was not up to par the "first party" was not responsible for payment and the homeowner would then be financially responsible. We did not do it and opted to update ourselves.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Melinda in Tulsa
it is OG&E!
Here is the # to call1-877-430-3936 you have to have your acct # handy when you call!
Oh, thank you Jacquie, I'll give them a call tomorrow!