Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: English Translation of Chinese Charm

I have a tiny sterling charm with what appears to be a word written in Chinese. Is there someone among us who can translate the word for me please? Or, tell me it's not really a word? Thanks bunches!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Not sure if this will help you or not:

http://www.usc.edu/dept/ealc/chinese...cter_page.html

the last character looks like Happiness and the 2nd to last looks like it could be Love but i can't see it that well.

the first two i can't see well enough to say what they might be

I tried this but I don't know what the characters are so I can't readily look them up.

I did, however, monkey around with translating other words I do recognize. Gave me a deep appreciation for the language and those who write the beautiful characters.

Sue

Quote Originally Posted by Feather3
    Not sure if this will help you or not:

http://www.usc.edu/dept/ealc/chinese...cter_page.html

Thanks fancy!

I thought the clarity might be an issue. This is a super-sized edition of the original picture. Like I said, this is a tiny sterling charm.

Quote Originally Posted by fabric_fancy
    the last character looks like Happiness and the 2nd to last looks like it could be Love but i can't see it that well.

the first two i can't see well enough to say what they might be

Blog Entries
    On this same subject, years ago I heard a story about a traveling lady who picked up an exquisitely carved token that hung from a woven cord. She wore it all the time till her husband was invited to a formal dinner with some Oriental ladies and gentlemen who were guests of honor.

One of the Oriental gentlemen took a look at the lovely pendent and choked on his drink. When the husband asked why, the visiting man took husband aside and said that the wife was wearing a token of cleanliness given every so often by public health to public...ladies of the night.

True or not, it pays to have everything spelled out in English when it is made public.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchie
    I have a tiny sterling charm with what appears to be a word written in Chinese. Is there someone among us who can translate the word for me please? Or, tell me it's not really a word? Thanks bunches!
    ===================
    What about a jeweler's Loupe?
    It's made to check out tiny details. If you know a friendly jeweler, might ask him or her to check it out. You might have been lucky enough to have a rare bit of Chinese history.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchie
    You could go to a Chinese restaurant, and someone there should be able to translate it for you. Sometimes my sweetie has to take his magic trick instructions to a local Chinese restaurant, and they are very willing to help him out. :wink:

GREAT IDEA! Like I need an excuse to go out for Chinese food. :grin: Thank you, Patty!