Epson salts?

Old 11-18-2010, 12:06 PM

We have a massage therapist come to work every couple of months and give free massages. (I think the campus pays her to come) Anyway, today I had a massage and she worked on my shoulder that has been sore and bothering me. She advised me to get some epson salts and soak a towel in hot epson salts water and it may draw out the soreness.

I was surprised. I thought epson salts was some kind of old fashioned, old-wife's tale. (and I am not all that young at all!)

Do any of you use epson salts? Does it really work? How do you use it? How much salts to how much water?

Thanks!
Old 11-18-2010, 12:07 PM

I have heard it being used for bad feet.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:12 PM

I use 1-cup in the lavender bath salts I make and use every night.
I was in bad accident and it helps to draw the pain out of the muscles and I sleep better.
I slide down in tub til shoulders are under water.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:13 PM

I buy Epson Salt by the 10 pound bag. As a nurseryman, my late DH used hundreds of pounds of it every year for the plants. It is not a sodium, and it supplies much needed magnesium to plants and animals and humans. In fact, some bottled waters that say they have "minerals" in it also have Epsom Salt..usually called Magnesium Sulfate. Check them out. You don't need to take so much you have what is called "Explosive decompression" but need just a little.

To start with, when I find it on sale, I do as DH used to, I hurl lots of it about in the back yard, making sure that all the plants in pots get their fair share.

Go to the Internet and check out all the ways you can use it.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:14 PM

I love Espon Salt whenever I need it. I never soaked the towel thing, though. I usually put a lot of salt in the bath tub and just soak myself in it. For any sprain or any kind of soreness, it is wonderful. If it were my shoulder, I would still get in the full tub and just slide down to my neck. It doesn't take long, either. Ten or fifteen minutes is good. I usually stay until the water gets cold.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:22 PM

I remember mom making us soak our cuts and stuff in warm water with Epson salt. Maybe I will have to find some and check out if it works for me!!!
Old 11-18-2010, 12:26 PM

Epson Salts if great for relieving soreness. A soaking for a spring or pulled muscle feels good. My grandmother used it for many things. When I was a teen I took a very,very small amount daily, never had any acne or skin problems. Again Grandmother advise.
Also, use epson salts for plants
Old 11-18-2010, 12:30 PM

I am too a Epsom Salts Soaker. I never measure just dump it in while tub is filling, it was recommended by my Chiropractor. I have some super arthritis in my shoulder and neck and it along with Biofreeze does wonders for both! I would highly recommend it. I also started using Epsom Salts on my outdoor flowers and they just love it.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:30 PM

I guess I had better stop at the store on my home and get some epson salts! Thanks for your ideas and thoughts!
Old 11-18-2010, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
I buy Epson Salt by the 10 pound bag. As a nurseryman, my late DH used hundreds of pounds of it every year for the plants. It is not a sodium, and it supplies much needed magnesium to plants and animals and humans. In fact, some bottled waters that say they have "minerals" in it also have Epsom Salt..usually called Magnesium Sulfate. Check them out. You don't need to take so much you have what is called "Explosive decompression" but need just a little.

To start with, when I find it on sale, I do as DH used to, I hurl lots of it about in the back yard, making sure that all the plants in pots get their fair share.

where do you find 10-pound bags ?/
Go to the Internet and check out all the ways you can use it.