ereaders and free books

Old 02-11-2014, 10:04 AM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!
Default ereaders and free books

my daughter taught me to use a program, CLEVENET, TO rent or borrow books from the library using my existing library card. I love it since my finances don't allow me to purchase a lot. Just wanted to let you in on this helpful hint if you don't already use it.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:06 AM

good for you! You'll find lots of resources at the library and so easy to check out.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:10 AM

also try Book Bub. It has lists of free books every day. You can also go to the site for whatever reader you have and type in "free mysteries" or whatever and find many. Don't forget you can use the free calibre software to convert a book from one form to another. For example, if you have a Nook and find a free Kindle book you want, the calibre software will allow you to convert it to a readable form. I seldom ever pay for a book these days.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:23 AM
Power Poster

Our library uses a program called overdrive. Free and of course free books.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:30 AM

I get an email from Pixels of Ink. some are free, most are $1 to $3.
Old 02-11-2014, 05:28 PM

If you have a kindle you can go on amazon and get free books. I get books from there and from bookblast. Bookblast sends me an email everyday with free books that I can chose from.

Pat in MN
Old 02-11-2014, 06:38 PM

I'll have to try Book Bub. Bookblast did not have much that I was interested in at the time. My library also uses Overdrive. Once I had the little techie at the library get me going, it was fine. My only issue is the books disappear after 2 wks and I don't necessarily get things read that quickly. Thanks for another site to check!
Old 02-12-2014, 05:19 AM

Also the Gutenberg Project for older free ebooks. They have over 40,000 titles, all free.
Old 02-12-2014, 05:45 AM

I can turn WIFI off on my Kindle (it's called airplane mode). Then the books don't disappear until I turn the WIFI back on. Of course, I can't load anything new to my Kindle in that time, but it does allow me to get through a long book.
Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
I'll have to try Book Bub. Bookblast did not have much that I was interested in at the time. My library also uses Overdrive. Once I had the little techie at the library get me going, it was fine. My only issue is the books disappear after 2 wks and I don't necessarily get things read that quickly. Thanks for another site to check!
Old 02-12-2014, 06:05 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
that's because you are borrowing from the library and they only have a certain amount of "digital" issues but on a kindle you are either purchasing or downloading a free book. Not borrowing. Our library has a way to increase the loan period on digital books - not forever, but maybe another week

Also, there is a Kindle app for the iPhone and iPad, which I use sometimes too, and those books stay forever til I take them off.