Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
ever think about getting a treadle?? >

ever think about getting a treadle??

ever think about getting a treadle??

Old 07-05-2011, 11:17 AM
Banned

yes, but here in OK that "barn" find would cost you $100! They think sewing was invented in OK and that everything sewing/quilting related is worth big bucks...even when it is NOT....

I have had luck at some auctions, and once a year the thrift shop..but never on Freecycle or CL...

I am bidding on a couple of vintage Bernina's on ebay now though...
Old 07-05-2011, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
yes, but here in OK that "barn" find would cost you $100! They think sewing was invented in OK and that everything sewing/quilting related is worth big bucks...even when it is NOT....

I have had luck at some auctions, and once a year the thrift shop..but never on Freecycle or CL...

That is still a good deal! If it is a vintage Singer a 15-89/90 that is a good deal. I would be careful with the Singer 15-91 since they are internal motors. But the 15-89/90 have external motors that can be removed and dropped into treadle. If it is a $100 for machine, cabinet, and treadle that is a good deal. That machine will out live you, your kids, and grandkids. Another great Singer for treadle use to use are the Singer 66s, they can have decals that are the Redeyes, Lotus, and just simple gold pattern decal.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:31 AM

I got my first treadle machine, a Standard, while I was living in Oklahoma. I think I paid $50 for it. Added some oil and a new belt and she works quite well. Hang in there, the machines are out there, you just have to haunt Craigs List, estate sales, garage sales, thrift stores, and even Ebay. Sometimes you just get lucky if you keep your eyes open.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
I would be careful with the Singer 15-91 since they are internal motors. But the 15-89/90 have external motors that can be removed and dropped into treadle.
I don't understand "internal motors"--mine has a pot motor is that what you're calling internal motor? I haven't had any problems with mine and I just love it!
Old 07-05-2011, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by virtualbernie
I would be careful with the Singer 15-91 since they are internal motors. But the 15-89/90 have external motors that can be removed and dropped into treadle.
I don't understand "internal motors"--mine has a pot motor is that what you're calling internal motor? I haven't had any problems with mine and I just love it!
Yes, a potted motor is that. Most are excellent motors, but you can't treadle those.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:45 AM

I got one a red head, I think it's called, in cabinate, but needs a belt, for . . . get this . . . $10.

I always wanted one, but like Jacq said, they want over $100 for any old peice of junk, treadle or electric around here, too.
but I am a firm believer that if there's anything you need, you will find it at a garage sale, and you will have enough money in your pocket for it. If ya don't, then another will come along.

So I went to a garage sale on my way home, only had $14 in my pocket, saw two treadles, looked at em . . didn't dare touch em, cuz I didn't have that kinda of money . . saw no price, guy walked up and said "Pick one for $10" and I almost fell over, and I said "really?" then I think I gushed a bit, thanking him a lot, and promising to give it a good home, while loading it in the truck.

So keep the faith, and you'll get one!
I also got a Domestic Rotory for $15, a Singer Athena for $20 [machine was $5, manual cost me $10 on ebay, and foot petal cost me $5 for the machine it was attatched to] total. Shoot, I got my Janome at a thrift store and it was new in the box [discontinued model] for $30!!
Seriously, there are bargains to be had if you look around. I had no luck on CL. All my bargains were items I found while garage saling.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:48 AM

[quote=PrettyCurious]I got one a red head, I think it's called, i

Pretty Curious,
I like your avatar!
Old 07-05-2011, 12:23 PM
Banned

here is my reply from the guy selling it!

GeorgiesWarehouse sent you a conversation on July 05, 2011.
Singer "Sphinx" Treadle / Electric Sewing Machine, listing #72764663
Hello.
YES,this is a reproduction. These where made in the 1970's.
Singer took designs from their model # 15 and #15-91 to combine the best of both, in a treadle machine with strength and nostalgic beauty.

We added a new motor. Now days people want more than just a, "Show Piece".
It will sew with treadle power, but it is so nice to be able to sew a foot long seam in 5 seconds, rather than 5 minutes.

It has a regular drop in bobbin. Just like the #15-91 model.
Hope this information is helpful.

Enjoy the day.
Georgie
Old 07-05-2011, 01:12 PM

here is my reply from the guy selling it!

GeorgiesWarehouse sent you a conversation on July 05, 2011.
Singer "Sphinx" Treadle / Electric Sewing Machine, listing #72764663
Hello.
YES,this is a reproduction. These where made in the 1970's.
Singer took designs from their model # 15 and #15-91 to combine the best of both, in a treadle machine with strength and nostalgic beauty.

We added a new motor. Now days people want more than just a, "Show Piece".
It will sew with treadle power, but it is so nice to be able to sew a foot long seam in 5 seconds, rather than 5 minutes.

It has a regular drop in bobbin. Just like the #15-91 model.
Hope this information is helpful.

Enjoy the day.
Georgie

Heehee, "a foot long seam in 5 seconds, rather than 5 minutes". This person has never used a treadle. Geez!

Jaciqltznok, I live in the SF Bay Area where vintage machines are very expensive on CLs. I found mine by just looking for the posts that stated free, doesn't work, missing belt, I think it will work just missing belt, etc. So when I go to check out a machine, I will look the machine over, and then offer way low. Just because they state $100 doesn't mean you can't talk them down. The longer on CLs the better for you in getting a deal.

Just be patient, the machine will find you!

:)
Old 07-05-2011, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by virtualbernie
Yes, a potted motor is that. Most are excellent motors, but you can't treadle those.
Yeah, the 15-96 is a treadle. I have one of those too. Looks exactly like the 91.