Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Exchange student from Sweden >

Exchange student from Sweden

Exchange student from Sweden

Old 07-24-2011, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Treasureit
We have Norwegian friends and the prices for many things are much cheaper here now that there...that is why she wants the mall! They come here and stock up on as many things as they can carry home.

It sounds like you will have a lot fun together...that will be a great learning experience for both of you! ENJOY!
Thanks. I hear the sneakers are a big hit for em here. Also jeans. It will be interesting. :thumbup: I'll enjoy every minute of it. :thumbup:
Old 07-24-2011, 05:18 PM

Keep us posted, this has been interesting ladies.
Old 07-24-2011, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by auntiehenno
Keep us posted, this has been interesting ladies.
Yes, I will keep you posted. I hope to find out soon when she'll be here. :thumbup:
Old 07-24-2011, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by dglvr
Originally Posted by Linda - K.
I'm sure you will have a great time with your student. We had 3 Japanese students for a "home stay" program for 3 summers and we enjoyed getting to know them and taking them around Seattle to see the sights. Our son went over there under the same program when he was 15. He loved it.
HI Linda. Where are you in Washington? I have family in the Seattle area so I'm going to be taking her there. Beings Snoqualamie Pass is such a mess we will go Chinook Pass to see Mt. Rainier. My mom lives up the Chinook Pass out of Naches up by Whistling Jacks so of course we'll have to stop for a visit there. I'm really hoping she gets here early before school starts so we can work all this in before it starts. I'm really liking this exchange student stuff. Its so much fun to take them sight seeing. I wish gas prices would go down. Lots of travels in the future. Glad you had such a good experience.
Are you going to do it again? My brother in law is the coordinator at Green River College in Kent. :thumbup:
We are in the Lake Goodwin area north of Everett. We lived in South Everett at the time we had the 3 students over the 3 year period. It was in the mid-80s but we don't do it now - we are retired. It was fun and we really enjoyed it. The first student really enjoyed a day on Mt. Rainier. You mentioned in another post about jeans and such. We gave the 3rd student a Levi's jacket when he was leaving and he loved it! They do love the brand name items like that. Of course, it's hard to find "made in America" things even tho they are brand names associated with the USA. Is it the construction in the pass you are referring to? I want to head over to Spokane in either Aug for the Buggy Barn show or in Oct for the Spokane quilt show. It's been since last Oct that I went over the pass so don't know what kind of traffic mess to face. It wasn't too bad last year.
Old 07-30-2011, 10:09 PM

Sweden is like New England. The swedes speak good english. They are very much like us. Most towns there are small and it is a culture that appreciates arts and crafts
like quilting. They have interesting christmas customs.
You will appreciate their sense of humor....(Think Minnesota!)
Old 07-30-2011, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by jpthequilter
Sweden is like New England. The swedes speak good english. They are very much like us. Most towns there are small and it is a culture that appreciates arts and crafts
like quilting. They have interesting christmas customs.
You will appreciate their sense of humor....(Think Minnesota!)
Thats great to know. Glad its an arts and crafts country. She'll fit right in here. She didn't know what quilting was so she looked it up and said she liked it. So I"m not sure if she ment the English word or really didn't know what quilting was. Guess I'll soon find out. Last I heard they'll be flying out the 16th 17th
or 18th. I hope to find out this week. Hopefully the 16th.
She did say her favorite holiday is Christmas so I'm hoping we'll both learn new ways. Also I read that Halloween they all dress as witches. Hmmm. So much for my dog costume this year. :shock: She did put she had a good sense of humor.
To put up with me that long she'll need it.
:mrgreen: I haven't been around to many Swedes. Or any at all for that matter that I know of. All this info is coming in handy. Thanks