Fabric Steamers??????

Old 12-12-2010, 01:05 PM

Has anybody ever used a fabric steamer to iron clothing? My son hates to iron his clothes and he lives 1-1/2 hours away so I can't do it for him all the time. I was hoping somebody here has used one and can recommend one or let me know if they work.
Thank you,
judy
Old 12-12-2010, 01:08 PM

I used to use one for pressing suits, etc, but never used it for regular shirts/cottons, etc. If you do get one, make sure you get one that has plenty of steam...I think it would be easier to make sure to purchase items of clothes that don't need to be ironed at all - that works for me now that I'm retired.
Old 12-12-2010, 01:54 PM

I agree with ktbb. I hate wrinkles, but I recently bought a blouse that is covered with them and the directions are to not iron it. Well, I thought I would hate it. I found out that I actually love it and hope I can find more. It is great to wash it, toss it in the dryer for a minute or two and then hang it to dry. The ease of the care makes me glad I bought it. I'm retired, too.
Old 12-12-2010, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by judy_68
Has anybody ever used a fabric steamer to iron clothing? My son hates to iron his clothes and he lives 1-1/2 hours away so I can't do it for him all the time. I was hoping somebody here has used one and can recommend one or let me know if they work.
Thank you,
judy
It would seem to me that if he is old enough to live 1 1/2 hours away from you, he is old enough to take care of his own clothes, be it to wear them wrinkled, or to buy his own iron. When I bought a new ironing board several years ago, and a new iron, my youngest son asked me if he could have the old ironing board and iron. I was thrilled. I don't know if he uses them or not, but they are out of my house and so is he. And he only lives 8 minutes from me.
Old 12-12-2010, 02:22 PM

I used one when I worked at a bridal shop. The gowns looked great when you were done but they were damp so u had to hang them carefully to dry. I haven't used one on regular clothing. I'm a permanent press kind of girl.
Old 12-12-2010, 02:31 PM
Cyn

Dry cleaners!
Old 12-12-2010, 02:33 PM

If he has a dryer he can use that. Put it in for a few minutes and take out right away before dryer stops. If still wrinkled dampen a towel and put in with to get the "steam". Sorry I don't know of any steamers that are good otherwise.
Old 12-12-2010, 02:42 PM

I agree with Grann..if he is old enough to be on his own..he can iron his shirts or get them to the dry cleaners. All of my children were taught to iron, that was one thing I wanted them to know how to do
Old 12-12-2010, 03:39 PM

I DID NOT say he is not capable of ironing his own clothes. He does but unlike alot of mothers... I enjoy helping my boys out no matter how old they get. He has his own iron and board and does use it. geeezzzzzz. I was just hoping to help him out because he works many many hours. I just thought a steam iron would be a good Christmas present for him.
Judy
Old 12-12-2010, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by judy_68
I DID NOT say he is not capable of ironing his own clothes. He does but unlike alot of mothers... I enjoy helping my boys out no matter how old they get. He has his own iron and board and does use it. geeezzzzzz. I was just hoping to help him out because he works many many hours. I just thought a steam iron would be a good Christmas present for him.
Judy
I hope you don't think I am picking on you. I have 3 sons and tried to raise them to be independent. When my oldest son had gotten out of computer school back in the early 80's he called me one day to ask my opinion about an apartment he found. He was telling me about its features, and I asked him if there was a laundromat nearby. He took the hint and never brought his laundry home. I am all for helping them get started but once they're out of the house they are "on their own". I did not raise "Momma's boys".