Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Facebook and google won't load >

Facebook and google won't load

Facebook and google won't load

Old 11-06-2013, 07:51 AM

Default Facebook and google won't load

Yesterday my computer decided not to load either Facebook or google, everything else loads fine and I'm on the internet with no problem. I have Windows XP and use Mozilla Firefox. I just did the help thing on Firefox where they cleaned up my old data etc. but even after restarting I'm still getting this screen. Does anyone know what might have happened to cause this and how I can get back to them. I've tried using my shortcuts and typing www.facebook.com directly into the search box. Thanks for any help. Here's what comes up on the screen.

Secure Connection Failed

An error occurred during a connection to www.facebook.com. SSL received a record that exceeded the maximum permissible length. (Error code: ssl_error_rx_record_too_long)

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem. Alternatively, use the command found in the help menu to report this broken site.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:29 AM
Power Poster

I would guess this is an incompatibility issue. I Googled and found problems in 2011 as well. I found these more current threads, but don't know if they will apply to you situation or not:
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/963125
http://smallbusiness.chron.com/faceb...fox-52757.html
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/963648

Could you download Chrome and try using that as your browser? (Or just use it as an alternative browser for Facebook and Google.)
Old 11-06-2013, 12:00 PM

Thanks for your suggestions prism99, will look at your links when I get back home today. In the meantime I did use IE and access them that way, but looks like some Java program is wanting to load on it..... just want to keep it simple, sure don't know why it would decide not to be compatible with the firefox that I've been using all along.
Old 11-06-2013, 12:12 PM

Did you try rebooting? That's the first thing the computer helpdesk had us try, when I used to work.
Old 11-06-2013, 12:18 PM
Power Poster

happened to me just this morning. DH did something to the router. Pulled out a cord stuck it back in and Oh yeah. he hit the reset button on the back with a pen. Voila! I keep forgetting about the reset button.
Old 11-06-2013, 03:31 PM
Power Poster

i'm glad you posted this. this morning, my computer said that a firefox update was available but i didn't want to mess with it just then. now i think i'll wait for another update to come along and skip this one... don't have time to deal with any problems.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:00 PM

Thank you to all.... I had rebooted and I had cleared etc.scanned with AVG and Spybot.... but..... after reading tessagin's post I shut everything down again. Unplugged each plug I came to & counted to 10.... replugged....etc..... and when I brought it back up....I'm now able to get onto Facebook & Google..... it's a relief for now.... but sure do wonder what caused this hick-up!
Old 11-07-2013, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
i'm glad you posted this. this morning, my computer said that a firefox update was available but i didn't want to mess with it just then. now i think i'll wait for another update to come along and skip this one... don't have time to deal with any problems.
When you turn your computer back on, the update should reappear. I always use update minutes to go do some little chore. It kills time, and my updates are "up to date". That could be the problem.