Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Facebook has all your phone numbers! >

Facebook has all your phone numbers!

Facebook has all your phone numbers!

Old 08-13-2011, 12:59 AM

Thanks,
Old 08-13-2011, 02:58 AM

How handy is that now I can easily find a friends phone number. FB only has or shares information that YOU supply them with. It only publishes things that YOU have given it permission to tell. Your friends have chosen to Share that information with their friends. How is that a violation? How is that scary? If you don't want 'your stuff' shown don't share it. By the way everything you post or share on QB can be searched for and found on GOOGLE.COM. If you are all concerned that someone you don't know may read or see your stuff you should probably get off the internet altogether.
Old 08-13-2011, 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by kristen0112
How handy is that now I can easily find a friends phone number. FB only has or shares information that YOU supply them with. It only publishes things that YOU have given it permission to tell. Your friends have chosen to Share that information with their friends. How is that a violation? How is that scary? If you don't want 'your stuff' shown don't share it. By the way everything you post or share on QB can be searched for and found on GOOGLE.COM. If you are all concerned that someone you don't know may read or see your stuff you should probably get off the internet altogether.
Not everyone sees this opinion as being handy as you do.
Also a lot of people don't go searching to find out what options are available on sites and I feel this should be brought to everyone's attention.
This way if they choose not to have it posted they can remove it.
It is all personal preferences. We all see things differently, that's what makes the world an interesting place.. :thumbup:
Old 08-13-2011, 04:19 AM

copied from Facebook:
"Only you can see your contacts
Your Contacts list is like a phonebook that only you can see. It includes numbers that 1) you may have synced from your phone or 2) your friends have chosen to share with you. To control who sees your contact information, visit your privacy settings."

You just have to make sure that you have disabled what feature you don't want shared.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:23 AM
lgc

Originally Posted by shnnn
it is a feature on facebook mobile that you can disable.
I don't use facebook mobile and they still had some phone numbers. How the *%@# does that happen?

My BIL posted how to turn it off and took care of it yesterday.
Old 08-13-2011, 09:34 AM

if it only publishes the info that you give it permission to give, why are so many people so unhappy? apparently lots of people did not know that their privacy was being so invaded. they had to be supplied with an opt-out in order to regain what privacy they thought they had. the numbers were published without permission.

facebook has a long history of being very free with its members' information. yes, it's true that you tell it lots of this, but that does not give permission to print it publicly. when you joined this forum, you gave the board information that was not shared with the members here. if you want to share that information, you do it yourself. also, while it's true that you can look up a great deal about other people online, the fact is that you have to search it out. no one is handing it to you unasked. as far as this forum, google only repeats what is said on open, public posts, and you have to go looking. by reading the posts here, you'd be hard pressed to know my phone number, not that you couldn't look it up in the phone book, but no one here is publishing it.

facebook gets in trouble quite a lot for this reason and is why i dropped out after 2 months. it's also very easy to hack into, according to the new york times, which i trust more than facebook.

not to mention that it also often gets information screwed up when people have the same name. also both of my children ran photos of themselves (2 different last names) and both ended up labeled as people they never heard of.

my feeling is that people who want to talk to me can email or call. and vice versa. nobody needs to know the minutiae of my life.
Old 08-13-2011, 09:52 AM

btw, i just typed in my name, followed by the words phone number and my state. i got run around in circles by a bunch of people with the same name and i never found my phone numbers. many of the numbers i saw came from facebook. what a surprise. i do know where to find it, but unless you do, it's not that easy. so facebook supplies the number to it's own members and to the rest of the world as well. how sweet is that.
Old 08-13-2011, 11:03 AM

Wow, I'm going to FB now. Thanks for letting us know.
Old 08-13-2011, 11:18 AM

Actually, I don't facebook with my phone and I saw all the numbers.
Originally Posted by kathy
not if you don't facebook with your fone.
Old 08-13-2011, 02:01 PM

My point is that it's a social media forum. I.e. It shares information and your the person supplying the info. If you are concerned you should stay off those types of sites or only share what your willing for others to know about you. It used to be that you could call the phone company and get anybody's phone that was listed only those people who chose not to allow their information were unlisted. It's the same with any type of social media type site. You can share what you want or don't. For example I don't want people to know my age but I am ok with them knowing my birthday - who doesn't like to get a birthday wish from friends? Everything you put out on the internet has the potential to be made public. Including things posted here on QB. I have never seen personal info from here but have seen links to various post from here.

Facebook is only with with what you allow it to show. If your worried don't enter anything or change how much info they can give out they have privacy settings.

Originally Posted by butterflywing
if it only publishes the info that you give it permission to give, why are so many people so unhappy? apparently lots of people did not know that their privacy was being so invaded. they had to be supplied with an opt-out in order to regain what privacy they thought they had. the numbers were published without permission.

facebook has a long history of being very free with its members' information. yes, it's true that you tell it lots of this, but that does not give permission to print it publicly. when you joined this forum, you gave the board information that was not shared with the members here. if you want to share that information, you do it yourself. also, while it's true that you can look up a great deal about other people online, the fact is that you have to search it out. no one is handing it to you unasked. as far as this forum, google only repeats what is said on open, public posts, and you have to go looking. by reading the posts here, you'd be hard pressed to know my phone number, not that you couldn't look it up in the phone book, but no one here is publishing it.

facebook gets in trouble quite a lot for this reason and is why i dropped out after 2 months. it's also very easy to hack into, according to the new york times, which i trust more than facebook.

not to mention that it also often gets information screwed up when people have the same name. also both of my children ran photos of themselves (2 different last names) and both ended up labeled as people they never heard of.

my feeling is that people who want to talk to me can email or call. and vice versa. nobody needs to know the minutiae of my life.