Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Facebook has all your phone numbers! >

Facebook has all your phone numbers!

Facebook has all your phone numbers!

Old 08-13-2011, 02:09 PM

My point is YOUR friends have entered this information on their accounts not your cell phone. I have NEVER synched my phone with Facebook And wow all my friends phone numbers are there. But it wasn't Facebook secretly gathering information from my cell phone or going into my computer to gather it from my system. It was because my friends have entered that information on their profiles.

Originally Posted by Lizzytish
Originally Posted by kristen0112
How handy is that now I can easily find a friends phone number. FB only has or shares information that YOU supply them with. It only publishes things that YOU have given it permission to tell. Your friends have chosen to Share that information with their friends. How is that a violation? How is that scary? If you don't want 'your stuff' shown don't share it. By the way everything you post or share on QB can be searched for and found on GOOGLE.COM. If you are all concerned that someone you don't know may read or see your stuff you should probably get off the internet altogether.

Not everyone sees this opinion as being handy as you do.
Also a lot of people don't go searching to find out what options are available on sites and I feel this should be brought to everyone's attention.
This way if they choose not to have it posted they can remove it.
It is all personal preferences. We all see things differently, that's what makes the world an interesting place.. :thumbup:
Old 08-13-2011, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
this is something that only YOU did by using FB on your phone, but all of your contacts that you can see their #'s also did...this is NOT a violation from FB...just lack of reading the rules on the part of those who use their phones and a SOCIAL network...remember in this day of high tech gangsters, if you don't want the world to know your business...don't use your cell phone like a PA system!....
I do not use FB on my phone, and the numbers are there!!
Old 08-13-2011, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by misoop
Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
this is something that only YOU did by using FB on your phone, but all of your contacts that you can see their #'s also did...this is NOT a violation from FB...just lack of reading the rules on the part of those who use their phones and a SOCIAL network...remember in this day of high tech gangsters, if you don't want the world to know your business...don't use your cell phone like a PA system!....
I do not use FB on my phone, and the numbers are there!!
That's because your friends entered their phone numbers on their profiles so that their friends can see their phone numbers if they want. It has nothing to do with whether you used your phone to post on Facebook.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:15 PM

I don't FB by phone and all my friends number are there. What's the big deal, people have information posted on all of their pages, most only friends can see. And only you can see your private phone numbers of friends. I've been on FB close to two years now, never been hacked, don't click on weird posts (there are just some things my friends would never post) and I notify them that they have probably been hacked. Some URL's will take you straight to a nasty site or even worse a virus.

But the same thing could happen if you were just surfing on the web, or even on here if a troll or someone else posts a wrong URL

Most of the problems on FB come from playing games and all those other crazy things when you have to ALLOW. Don't allow, if that happens when I click on something, I cancel it. I don't send hearts and pokes and all that. I merely use it as a communication board, like this one, and a place to share photos with my long lost found family members and friends.

I also us the private message system for 'writing' to people. I love the phone list as when I travel, I always have them right here in my computer.

You can find anyone's number on the computer and FB has nothing to do with it, use one of the people searches, you can get addresses, phone numbers and google map them and you can travel right down their street an see their house.
It's the computer world, you are out there and in it, just try googling your name sometime. I guarantee, you will be very surprised at what pops up.

If you don't like it, you will have to take yourself back to no Internet. But that still doesn't mean the information isn't all out there, you just won't see it.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:15 PM

I don't FB by phone and all my friends number are there. What's the big deal, people have information posted on all of their pages, most only friends can see. And only you can see your private phone numbers of friends. I've been on FB close to two years now, never been hacked, don't click on weird posts (there are just some things my friends would never post) and I notify them that they have probably been hacked. Some URL's will take you straight to a nasty site or even worse a virus.

But the same thing could happen if you were just surfing on the web, or even on here if a troll or someone else posts a wrong URL

Most of the problems on FB come from playing games and all those other crazy things when you have to ALLOW. Don't allow, if that happens when I click on something, I cancel it. I don't send hearts and pokes and all that. I merely use it as a communication board, like this one, and a place to share photos with my long lost found family members and friends.

I also us the private message system for 'writing' to people. I love the phone list as when I travel, I always have them right here in my computer.

You can find anyone's number on the computer and FB has nothing to do with it, use one of the people searches, you can get addresses, phone numbers and google map them and you can travel right down their street an see their house.
It's the computer world, you are out there and in it, just try googling your name sometime. I guarantee, you will be very surprised at what pops up.

If you don't like it, you will have to take yourself back to no Internet. But that still doesn't mean the information isn't all out there, you just won't see it.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:16 AM

That is only the phone numbers of your friends who are on FB because they list it on their FB page. It is not the phone numbers of all your friends/business numbers on your cell phone.