Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Farm Geometry from Space...very beautiful!

From space, Kansas farms look more like a geometric puzzle than sources of corn, wheat and other crops.

Healthy crops appear green in this archive image by the Advanced Spaceborne Thermal Emission and Reflection Radiometer (ASTER). Taken in June 2001, but released this week, the image is a June 24 snapshot of Finney County in Kansas.

Corn would be growing into leafy stalks by late June while sorghum - which resembles corn - grows slower, making it much smaller and possibly paler. Wheat shows up as a bright gold. The brown regions indicated recently harvested, plowed under or unused fields.

Farmers in this region have adopted a more efficient irrigation method, central pivot irrigation, to conserve water from the Ogallala Aquifer. The method draws water from a single well in a field's center, and uses long pipes perched on wheels that rotate around the pivot, showering the crops with water. Because the water falls directly on the crops instead of being shot into the air as occurs with traditional sprinklers, less water is lost to evaporation and more goes to nourishing the growing plants. The circular field shapes are a byproduct of the method. The fields shown here are up to one mile (1.6 kilometers) in diameter.

-- SPACE.com Staff

Credit: NASA/GSFC/METI/ERSDAC/JAROS, and U.S./Japan ASTER Science Team.

Return each weekday for a new SPACE.com Image of the Day.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Blog Entries
    I noticed this when in a plane, too. I wondered about all of the circles LOL Out here they use a different system, so I thank you for the explanation :D:D:D

My sister and her hubby live in south central Kansas and I have told them many times, I want to go out to see his round farm!! We always have so much to talk about and see and that is on the bottom of their list! They live in a small town and not on the farm.

I always wondered what that was from the air. I just thought maybe the sprinkler was set up to do circles :)

Quote Originally Posted by Ditter43
    From space, Kansas farms look more like a geometric puzzle than sources of corn, wheat and other crops.

Healthy crops appear green in this archive image by the Advanced Spaceborne Thermal Emission and Reflection Radiometer (ASTER). Taken in June 2001, but released this week, the image is a June 24 snapshot of Finney County in Kansas.

Corn would be growing into leafy stalks by late June while sorghum - which resembles corn - grows slower, making it much smaller and possibly paler. Wheat shows up as a bright gold. The brown regions indicated recently harvested, plowed under or unused fields.

Farmers in this region have adopted a more efficient irrigation method, central pivot irrigation, to conserve water from the Ogallala Aquifer. The method draws water from a single well in a field's center, and uses long pipes perched on wheels that rotate around the pivot, showering the crops with water. Because the water falls directly on the crops instead of being shot into the air as occurs with traditional sprinklers, less water is lost to evaporation and more goes to nourishing the growing plants. The circular field shapes are a byproduct of the method. The fields shown here are up to one mile (1.6 kilometers) in diameter.

-- SPACE.com Staff

Interesting...maybe a quilt project in the making??

Blog Entries
    -- SPACE.com Staff

Return each weekday for a new SPACE.com Image of the Day.[/quote]

Interesting...maybe a quilt project in the making??[/quote]
    ----------------------------
    Exactly what I was thinking...(~.~)

Blog Entries
    thanks for sharing

Quote Originally Posted by ICU_FOSTERMOM
    -- SPACE.com Staff

Interesting...maybe a quilt project in the making??[/quote]
    ----------------------------
    Exactly what I was thinking...(~.~)[/quote]

First thing that came to mind when I saw it! :D

I found this too...look familiar? It's even called Kansas farm field !I think we weren't the first ones to see that picture and think quilt!
    http://www.serendipitypatchwork.com.au

Very pretty, looks like fabric!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast