Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Father's Day .. What your best /funniest story memory >

Father's Day .. What your best /funniest story memory

Father's Day .. What your best /funniest story memory

Old 06-15-2014, 10:23 AM

Default Father's Day .. What your best /funniest story memory

My parents were at opposite ends of the spectrum when it came to money. My Mom was the frugal one. Today as I head out to a sale ... I paused for a moment to remember my father telling my mom and me if we were excited to go to a great fabric sale " Take the truck!" .

What memories/stories came to mind today?
Old 06-15-2014, 11:03 AM

DGM coached us kids to say "here's to the best granddad two kids every had," and present him with a watch she had bought for him.. But when we got to him it came out as "Here's to the granddad from two of the best kids he every had!" LOL! We laughed about that one for years.
Old 06-15-2014, 11:55 AM

Catching my first fish with my dad...him helping us build a huge igloo in the snow with bricks molded by a dish pan (at least, it felt huge to me at the time!)...his kindness to his aging mother-in-law (my beloved grandma)...buying donuts on Saturday morning to try to get 5 kids out of bed to start our chores...going out to the country to cut a Christmas tree each year and setting up the old Lionel train with us under the tree, the only time we got to play with it. Some memories can be painful but at heart he was a decent and caring man. He loved to tell stories and loved to talk, except about his time in the Marines in World War II. I think he carried some baggage that he would never share with us. After his funeral my uncle told us a story of what he faced as a teen fighting on Iwo Jima. It's nice to recall the fun moments...he was a good dad. We didn't always have a lot, but he made sure we had enough.
Old 06-15-2014, 04:25 PM

My Dad was the kindest gentlest man on this earth! I miss him so much. He died three years ago.

One funny memory I have is of my Mom and us kids going strawberry picking. She put six pork chops in the oven, and told my Dad if we weren't home by six oclock, to go ahead and eat. We arrived home at 6:05 and Dad had eaten all six pork chops. Mom was less than impressed. She laughs about it now!
Old 06-15-2014, 04:47 PM

My dad had his own business and it required him to work many, many hours. We didn't take vacations, but every summer, once or twice, he's get home and say, "Why don't we go to the Dairy Queen?" Oh, what joy! A simple pleasure, but a very special one.
Old 06-15-2014, 05:06 PM
Power Poster

Aaaahhh that is sweet. He sounds like a great dad.

Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
My parents were at opposite ends of the spectrum when it came to money. My Mom was the frugal one. Today as I head out to a sale ... I paused for a moment to remember my father telling my mom and me if we were excited to go to a great fabric sale " Take the truck!" .

What memories/stories came to mind today?
Old 06-16-2014, 07:06 AM
Power Poster

Any memory of my father is the best ... But I LOVE this pic for funny! He was showing off his Halloween wig and hat.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 06-16-2014, 07:45 AM

My dad was career Army officer and we lived a lot of places. When Mama, sister and I would come home from shopping, he would remark that he saw we'd been contributing to the local economy again. :-)

Sure do miss him. I still use that phrase when telling DH I'm going out for a shop around.....
Old 06-16-2014, 07:55 AM

My father had a great sense of humor. When I was about 9, I wanted to make him breakfast in bed for Father's Day. I got up extra early to make sure I was up before he was, and decided to make scrambled eggs and toast. I managed to get the scrambled eggs done without burns or shell fragments. The toaster was not working well and the toast was pretty dark, but I like it that way so I served it to him. When I served it to him he said "Wow, I've never been treated like a Greek God before!" I said"What?" He explained ""You have treated me like a Greek God, you have served me 'burnt offerings'! Lol! Dad could always make us laugh!

i just had to add a picture of Dad at one of his proudest moments. Miss you Dad.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg