Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Favorite baby doll?

DJ
    I'd like to get a cuddly baby doll for my DGD for Christmas. I don't want one that really drinks, wets, talks, or anything fancy. Just a cuddly doll that maybe she could change the cloths on. I don't particularly want to make it, but I might make some clothes for it and definitely a blankie. She'll be 2 1/2.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    As a doll lover when I was a child I love dolls that look like babies. I had all boys so I don't know what's on the market these days :)

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The doll my 18 year old daughter has had since she was less than 1 came from a yard sale. It was new looking but not in a box. It's a rag doll with a soft plastic head and hands. The head has open and close eyes and "real" hair. It doesn't exactly look like a baby. More a girl doll, I'd say.

All these years later, it is one at least it's third set of hair and her hands are all chewed up. It was never fancy and is now worn out, but "Susie" still sleeps in a cradle in her room. If my daughter is sick, you will find Susie in her bed.

Blog Entries
    Cuddly doll: Raggedy Ann
    Plastic hard cuddled doll: Cabbage Patch Kids.

Babies and toddlers like the soft dolls (the plain Jane ones).

Blog Entries
    Soft bodied dolls are easier to dress and there are so many of them out there now.
    I love the ones the size of a newborn, it is so easy to find cute clothes at garage sales if you don't want to make them yourself :D:D:D

American Girl has a baby doll that is adorable, a little pricey but will last a long time and be a keepsake later. You can make or buy clothes for it.

These days the state of the art baby doll line is "Reborn Babies". They look like real babies, but don't choke when you see the price!

Cabbage Patch dolls! I remember when these first came out. They were the latest rage and hard to find. Everytime I would heard about a shipment coming in, I would leave work and go on the mission. I didn't get them for my girls, I got one for my mother (boy) and one for me (girl)!

Don't remember the year they came out, but I still have both of them, mine and mom's, on the bed in the back room.
    They have original clothes on.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by annyroony2
    Don't remember the year they came out, but I still have both of them, mine and mom's, on the bed in the back room.
    They have original clothes on.
    Cabbage Patch Dolls came out in 1982. I had 2 of them. My 7 yo dd has 2 of them also. They are still selling them.