Feeding furbabies

Old 05-21-2011, 10:46 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Those of you who have feline furbabies --- what and how do you feed them? My two have wet (canned) and dry mixed at night and dry in the morning. As they are outside cats they also hunt a bit. Guess I'm also wondering how many feed only dry cat food and leave it always available.

Feeding them on the porch is a highlight of our day (both for human and furbabies :-D ). They come to the door near dusk and lie on the mat. The female, Pearlie, often sits staring without blinking into the storm door, which is as disconcerting as she intends it to be because makes me feel guilty enough to stop whatever I'm doing - including eating my own dinner - to go feed them, LOL! :lol:

Jan in VA
Old 05-21-2011, 10:48 AM
Power Poster

I feed my outside cat once a day at night. Otherwise the dogs get her food. The dogs come in at night. We are very rural and she is a hunter deluxe.
Old 05-21-2011, 10:54 AM

Dry food and then the two of them split a wet Fancy Feast Appetizer once a day, usually at breakfast.
Old 05-21-2011, 11:13 AM

My child gets a bowl of dry to snack on during the day. It HAS to be Meow Mix Hairball. She knows the yellow bag. I split a packet of Special Kitty Filet Mignon between her morning meal and dinner meal. I've tried other flavors for her and she just turns up her nose at them. Then I get the deprived and starving evil eye. Did someone ask if she was finicky?
Old 05-21-2011, 11:15 AM

We are strict dry feeders. Ray gets 1 cup split, half am half pm. He is odd for a kitty, isn't really interested in wet. He gets treats, one or 2 at a time if he's being ansty about food and it's not time to feed him. We try to keep wet food as a strict treat, tho as some of the prior cats got old and sick we did what ever worked to get them to eat.
Old 05-21-2011, 11:39 AM

I leave dry food down all the time, which makes him a little overweight. I give him a teaspoon of wet food in the evening, as a treat. I also give him hairball treats in the morning, just because I'll find used hairballs unexpectedly and often.
Old 05-21-2011, 11:44 AM

My dad puts out wet in the evening, and has dry available all the time on the deck. Problem is, it attracts lots of other little unwelcome forest creatures, as well. . .
Old 05-21-2011, 11:52 AM

Right now my cats (16,11 and 10yrs) are strictly indoor cats. When we move out of the city I intend to let them outside. I leave dry food down for the cats all the time in one of those feeders that drops it down into the tray as they use it. They help themselves.

Our dog is a different story! She hates everything I put down for her and I've tried most of them. Right now she's getting half a package of Pedigree moist food (which one of my cats eats most of) and a handful of dry food which she won't eat til she's sure nothing else will come her way. She loves people food, spaghetti sauce, chicken, any vegetable, even pineapple and bananas, if we're eating it - she wants some and if it's not high calorie (she's a 5 lb dog) she'll occasionally get some from the guy with the "S" (for sucker) on his forehead who eats with me.
Old 05-21-2011, 11:52 AM

My 3 get canned food every morning and dried during the day.
Old 05-21-2011, 11:54 AM

Mine have dry out all the time,and they get canned 2 X a day.