Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fiction suggestions

Fiction suggestions

I was traveling with my daughter who is 25 weeks pregnant. She has had complications - think all is going to be ok but she is hospitalized for a few days. We are in Bristol, TN for a few days and I would like to read a quilty mystery. I've read some of the quilt shop books by Isabella Alan (Amish) and enjoyed those.

I'm a bit overwhelmed at the moment and can't decide. It seems there are so many. Someone pick a book for me. I promise if I don't like it I won't hold it against you

Thanks!!

Blog Entries
    You may already have read these, but "At Home In Mitford" written by Jan Karon. There are 6 or 7. They are really good books. I just lay in bed and read and laugh out loud. Barny

Power Poster
    I hope things go well for your daughter. Here are a few more books to look for .....Forget Me Knot by Mary Marks, Quilt Trip by Elizabeth Craig and Murder By Sunlight be Barbara Graham.

Blog Entries
    Over the last year I've been reading Alexander McCall Smith. Started with No 1 Ladies Detective Agency and moved on through the other series. I am addicted. I wish he would write faster!
    Krystyna
    Feel the fear and do it anyway!

Blog Entries
    I have just finished two excellent books by Jennifer Chiaverini. "Mrs Lincoln's Dressmaker" (Elizabeth Keckley) and "Mrs. Lincoln's Rival". Historical Fiction. Excellent books. I listen to my books (audiobooks from the library). I am now on the fifth Walk book by Richard Paul Evans. This is the final book "Walk on Water" in the series. You have to start at the first book though - you'll lose the path of the story if you don't. This are my hot recommendations. Excellent to listen to while I am sewing. And yes, Jan Karon's books are excellent! An interesting bit here - Elizabeth Keckley sewed all of Mary Todd Lincoln's dresses while she was in the White House and the little bits and pieces leftover from the dresses Elizabeth Keckley kept and made a quilt. The quilt is now hanging at Kent State University and is beautiful. You can google Elizabeth Keckley and learn all about here. She also combed President Lincoln's hair for his going out in public. President Lincoln didn't know how to properly comb his hair and far be it from Mary Todd to help him! Learned an awful lot of history in those two books (the good stuff so to speak).

Good luck to your daughter. I am sure she will be fine! Have a good day. Edie
    Home is where the rags of your life are turned into quilts, lemons become lemonade and a few extra pounds are simply welcomed as "more of you to love."
    I am so confused. I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse."

BELIEVE

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Krystyna View Post
    Over the last year I've been reading Alexander McCall Smith. Started with No 1 Ladies Detective Agency and moved on through the other series. I am addicted. I wish he would write faster!
    Yes. yes, yes! These will entertain and not be "heavy" reading. I get tired of the sex, bad language and so on in much of today's literature. None of that in these books No 1 Ladies Detective Agency. They are wonderful!! Be sure to start with the first book as you'll want to continue them.
    I find the early Elm Creek Quilter books entertaining, but the latest have been too historical for me, especially, Sonoma Rose, which had more to do with Prohibition than quilting, IMHO.
    Some of Dianne Mott Davidson's books are good, too. And Susan Branch's: A Fine Romance.
    Last edited by coopah; 05-16-2014 at 05:09 AM.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Have you read the Marie Bostwick series about a quilting store and the people in it? Enjoyed them all.

If you are looking for something that doesn't include quilts, try Brava Valentine, Very Valentine and the Shoemaker's Daughter. Or books by Rosanna Chiofalo - Bella Fortunate and Carissima. You can read descriptions on Amazon.

Good luck to your daughter and to you. I hope this stressful time is over soon.
    I'd rather be at the lake

Do one thing every day that scares you... Eleanor Roosevelt

Any book by JENNIFER CHIAVERINI will be good one.

I like Earlene Fowler's quilt mysteries, also anything by Jennifer Chiaverini
    Who needs therapy? I quilt!

I also enjoy Earlene Fowler's books. There is also Arlene Sachitano's books that are very good. I haven't read the quilt mystery series by Barbara Graham, but need to check them out. If you like cooking, how about Carol Mott Davidson's books.

I hope all goes well with your daughter.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast