Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: FIRE

My neighbor's house burned tonight. They were gone and when they got home and opened the door smoke rolled out. Our little volunteer fire department was able to save most of the structure and some of the contents. Their little dog was inside and died from the smoke. I am still up at 3 O'Clock am washing the little bit of clothing that didn't burn. I am blessed, when my house burned 8 years ago I had my little dog with me when I came home and found my house ablaze. How can I get the smoke smell out of their clothes

Blog Entries
    I am soooo sorry - what a dreadful thing to have happen. Perhaps Febreeze for the smell?

you might try putting some vinegar in wash water.

How sad. Adding vinegar to both the wash and rinse cycle should help and letting the clothes dry outside as well. We had a fire many years ago and I was surprised how easily the ordor came out of some things and others had to be sent to the dry cleaners.

http://extension.missouri.edu/public...b.aspx?p=gh145 found this but not too encouraging I might add. Sorry for your friends. Glad you are trying to help

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    So sorry to hear about your neighbors house and the poor little doggie.

Using vinegar should help with the smell. You could also try using baking soda in the wash.

Blog Entries
    So sorry for their loss. I use white vinegar, but there have been several posts by people who say that adding ammonia to the wash will take the smoke smell out completely.

Thank you. After several washings with detergent and baking soda and rinse with vinegar the smell is almost gone. They are hanging outside (on the porch because it is raining) when they dry I hope the smell is gone. They look clean. Wish me luck.