Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
First attempt at regular sewing >

First attempt at regular sewing

First attempt at regular sewing

Old 09-29-2013, 12:32 PM

Default First attempt at regular sewing

Well, I thought I would try my hand at regular sewing and purchased an easy Vogue pattern for a jacket that didn't call for lining. 4 pieces...how hard could it be! Not knowing what size I wore, I made it an extra large. Also, the pattern called for felted wool but all I could find was 36 inch felt that was a blend of wool and polyester . This is how it came out. I added cuffs to it as the pattern didn't have cuffs . I could have tuned the sleeves up but didn't like seeing the arm seams so I called on my nanny angel to help guide me ( she was a seamstress when she was alive) as I had no clue what I was doing .
It's big and somewhat stiff so I will wear it in the mornings when it's cool around the house on the weekends.
Need to find another pattern that is more finished....or maybe just stick with quilting and embroidering.
In any event I christened my Janome 12000 with this first regular sewing project.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 09-29-2013, 01:36 PM

That turned out really nice.
Old 09-29-2013, 01:38 PM

That is really cool! Nice project. I never saw felt with a neat design like that.
Old 09-29-2013, 01:40 PM
Power Poster

I think it looks good! Now you can say you are also a seamstress/dressmaker/quilter.
Old 09-29-2013, 04:19 PM

Like the style of it. You did a good job. I think I would try it in fleece fabric and hem the edges for body.
If you washed it, do you think it might soften some? Love the color and print.
Old 09-29-2013, 05:37 PM

I love it. It is very pretty.
Old 09-29-2013, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by yngldy View Post
Like the style of it. You did a good job. I think I would try it in fleece fabric and hem the edges for body.
If you washed it, do you think it might soften some? Love the color and print.
I will try washing a scrap piece and see how it comes out. I was thinking of making in in fleece ...when you mentioned hem the edges do you mean just turning over the edge or serving the edge?
Old 09-29-2013, 06:23 PM

I think it came out great but I'm not sure how the felt will wash, since felted wool is totally different than felt. I don't know if I'd try the same pattern and make it out of fleece. The patterns are designed for either stretch or non stretch fabrics, and if the pattern is designed for non stretch, which this one would be and you make it with a stretchy fabric(fleece), it's not going to work right.

Last edited by pocoellie; 09-29-2013 at 06:27 PM.
Old 09-29-2013, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by pocoellie View Post
I think it came out great but I'm not sure how the felt will wash, since felted wool is totally different than felt. I don't know if I'd try the same pattern and make it out of fleece. The patterns are designed for either stretch or non stretch fabrics, and if the pattern is designed for non stretch, which this one would be and you make it with a stretchy fabric(fleece), it's not going to work right.
I wonder if I found a couple of wool sweaters and felted them in the washing machine it would come out better. I knew this one would be a practice sample. I will have to look on line for felted wool fabric . Thanks
Old 09-30-2013, 04:35 AM

Looks like your sewing skills are fine!! But felted wool does not have the same " hand" as what you purchased, which is more like craft felt. Even " felted wool" is different than " wool felt". This garment would have been much more comfortable with fleece. Don't give up - learning about garments and garment fabric can be just as rewarding as quilting.