Fishing in Alaska was HOT

Old 08-22-2010, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by barnbum
Cool!! Is this something you do yearly? Or monthly? Is hubby a fisherman by trade? Tell us more!! I just love the photo of all those boats--cute couple too! :-D

I just read replies--so I see this was on a friend's boat. What a boat it is!!

Canned fish? Like tuna? Salmon? Do you freeze the fillets or the whole fish? It's fun to see what others are doing. :-D
Hubby just LOVES to fish :D And he is a grea fisherman, his favorite is flyfishing. The fish was canned (in jars) and we did not put anything in the jar but the skinned and defatted salmon. I made salmon salad only salmon and mayo. It was amazing !!! :shock: We freeze fillets and he always cleans the fish at what ever water source we are at. If the ocean then there if the river or lake then he cleans them there. Unless I am not with him and I ask to see them then my sweetie will bring the whole fish home for pictures with his catch. I can always use more pictures of my hunky husband.

By the way Barnbum I checked out your sons wedding and it looked so lovely. I am thrilled for you!
take care :-D
Old 08-22-2010, 09:51 PM
Banned

I am glad you had fun, you and hubby are so cute, with your great big smiles. I love to see people happy. God bless.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by canmitch1971
Quite often I take a big piece of heavy foil. I spray it with Pam or whatever. Then I slice up all different veggies (potatoes, zucchini, sugar snap peas, mushrooms, carrots, onions, garlic, etc or whatever I have on hand) very thin. I put them on the foil and place whatever fish I have on top in serving pieces. I also add a bunch of herbs I have from my herb garden and then drizzle it all with a bit of oil. I close it up well and either stick it in the oven or on the BBQ with the lid down for about 25 minutes or so. It is to die for. My husband and I love it and he never used to eat fish. All you need along side is a nice salad. I have also put spinach leaves in it too.
scuse me a minute while i wipe the drool off my desk and keyboard can i come live at your house?
Old 08-23-2010, 10:08 AM

Wonderful pictures! Boy would my husband love to go fishing in AK! I sent him fly fishing while on a cruise there, but he fell in the water. :shock: He does that.

Where in AK did you fish?
Old 08-23-2010, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Kooklabell
Wonderful pictures! Boy would my husband love to go fishing in AK! I sent him fly fishing while on a cruise there, but he fell in the water. :shock: He does that.

Where in AK did you fish?
roflma i can just pic this. dont feel bad my husband just catches weeds and pieces of wood lol
Old 08-24-2010, 07:05 AM

WOW!!! I missed out on the silvers when I was in Togiak on the Togiak River back in July 95'(when Chicago had about 120 people die from the heat) but we had Kings going into the high 40's and maybe just hitting the 50's. It was AWESOME! Well worth the money! It cost me like $1200US at the time for a full 7 days NOT including transit time on the river dusk to dusk. All I can say is if you go to ALASKA it will get into your soul and you WILL leave with a longing to be there forever. Especially if you have any love of the outdoors. The best part was I spent it with my cousin who is totally into the outdoors, alot like I am. He is hoping to put a moose into the freezer soon but it has been a bit warm. Good pictures brought back some memories of good times. Looks to me to be in the SouthEast, like Ketchican(sp?)or somewhere in that area maybe????
Old 08-24-2010, 05:44 PM

Im currently in alaska myself. Dh is stationed here for the next 3yrs or so. Gotta say its a huge change from texas weather hehe
Old 08-24-2010, 06:21 PM

My DH is leaving tomorrow for his annual coho fishing trip (I'm staying home this year to quilt). Great pictures - lots of fish!!!

We have to transport fish home with the tail attached, so it has to be processed later. I hate that; arriving home tired with all these fish to deal with. We freeze fillets or chunks in vacuum-sealed bags and I can half-pints. Sometimes I lightly smoke it before canning for extra-yummy flavour.

Groan, your pictures have made me want to go fishing!!!
Old 08-24-2010, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by b.zang
My DH is leaving tomorrow for his annual coho fishing trip (I'm staying home this year to quilt). Great pictures - lots of fish!!!

We have to transport fish home with the tail attached, so it has to be processed later. I hate that; arriving home tired with all these fish to deal with. We freeze fillets or chunks in vacuum-sealed bags and I can half-pints. Sometimes I lightly smoke it before canning for extra-yummy flavour.

Staying HOME :? Why not go with yor sweetie :?: We are canning fish again tonight. We just chop it up and do not add a thing to it and in the jars they go. Pressure cook them and voila the yummiest fish on the planet.
Wish you could come and quilt here. Maybe next year. :thumbup:
Old 08-24-2010, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by alaskasunshine
Originally Posted by b.zang

Staying HOME :? Why not go with yor sweetie :?: We are canning fish again tonight. We just chop it up and do not add a thing to it and in the jars they go. Pressure cook them and voila the yummiest fish on the planet.
Wish you could come and quilt here. Maybe next year. :thumbup:
Years ago my mom and I canned salmon my dad caught. It was so yummy!!! We still talk about all the jars of fish we canned! We would sure love to do that again!!! :wink: