Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Five Years Ago an Ice Storm Hit The State of Kentucky >

Five Years Ago an Ice Storm Hit The State of Kentucky

Five Years Ago an Ice Storm Hit The State of Kentucky

Old 01-27-2014, 05:24 AM

Default Five Years Ago an Ice Storm Hit The State of Kentucky

The entire state was covered with ice and without power. We went without power for 8 days! Lack of power was sporadic and about a mile from us stores and restaurants had power. We spent time at them to get warm. DH had power at work so I went to work with him. It was brutal going home to no heat!
Old 01-27-2014, 06:12 AM

Yes we were covered in ice. Power poles and tons of tree limbs snapping every minute. We stayed in my husband's office. Five minutes away and it had electricity but our house didn't. I remember seeing the power company truck coming down our long driveway. I felt like a kid on Christmas morning seeing her favorite toy! What a terrible experience to live thru! Hope that never happens again!
Old 01-27-2014, 07:02 AM

Got us to, but not as bad! We were lucky.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:38 AM

I remember that. My youngest daughter's was out 12 days. She brought my 2 grandson's and came to my house and stayed. We had the best time ever. I set up a machine for her in my dining room and taught her how to piece a quilt, we cooked together, played together and had a lot of laughs. It was the best together time we have ever had.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:46 AM
Power Poster

Just proves good can come out of a bad situation. Think of the memories.
Originally Posted by Jackie Spencer View Post
I remember that. My youngest daughter's was out 12 days. She brought my 2 grandson's and came to my house and stayed. We had the best time ever. I set up a machine for her in my dining room and taught her how to piece a quilt, we cooked together, played together and had a lot of laughs. It was the best together time we have ever had.
Old 01-27-2014, 10:02 AM

we went 10 days without power, but stayed home. We were lucky to have gas logs in our fireplace, so we dressed warm, and sat close to the heat. A jar of instant coffee , water and soup were heated over the logs, sandwiches , crackers tuna etc. Actually, it was sort of fun for awhile. We would read, play cards and talk! I had a battery light that let me read after dark, but hubs would just go to bed. Lots of blankets piled on the bed to keep us warm . We had children that lived within three miles of us , they had power and kept wanting us to stay with them, but being old and contrary, we just stayed home. lol It reminded me of being young and staying at my grandma's farm. She only had fireplace heat or the potbelly stove in her kitchen, cooking was done on a kerosene stove. We would sit before the stove , stayed very warm on one side, and when it was time to sleep, a fast run into the bedroom and jumping into a featherbed and covering with a featherbed kept us nice and warm. One of my favorrite memories of the ice storm was a neighbors tree. It was an old weeping willow and the wind had swirled the branches around and the freezing rain was holding them in the circle it formed. It made a perfect circle and was beautiful. Not so pretty were all the tree branches that were breaking and falling. Seeing everything covered with ice in the sunshine, beautiful.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:05 PM

I remember reading in the paper about how families who lived by Amish families were taken into their homes. They never use electricity so it wasn't anything out of the ordinary.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:50 PM

My DD and her DH both worked at the Paducah Sun (newspaper) during the ice storm. The newspaper did not have power but a janitor's apartment did - so the reporters "lived" at his apartment and put the shortened newspaper (about 2 pages) out using their laptops and sending the "copy" through an email to a printing plant somewhere else in KY - thus, they put out a small paper every day - trucking them in from somewhere else. Modern technology!!!
Old 01-27-2014, 05:11 PM

Down here near the Gulf coast, we are waiting for lots of rain, freezing rain, ice and whatever. Schools are closed for two days. DH has his generator ready in the event that we lose power. This has truly been an unusual winter for us. On our ice day last week, I did some stitching. Hope to finish up the project tomorrow. By finish, I mean finish putting the quilt top together. Stay safe and warm, everyone.
Old 01-27-2014, 06:34 PM

I remember that storm, too! Luckily, we have a wood burning fireplace and a kerosene heater. DH slept in the living room so he could keep the fire going at night and I had so many quilts on the bed that once I got in it, it was hard to turn over! We cooked on the grill outside or our camp stove. We also roasted hotdogs in the fireplace. Hopefully we won't have to go through that again! We finally were able to go into town to MIL's and could take a shower--that was heavenly!