Flash Drives

Old 01-16-2015, 02:23 PM
Power Poster

Default Flash Drives

I cannot say enough good things about them. Prism99 was asking about preserving pictures in another post.

I have several with music, videos, the Bible, (all of it), my mother's genealogy, my father's diaries from Pearl Harbor, greeting cards I've shared with Jim, birth certificates, tax records, and quite a few other things. I also have one devoted entirely to my quilting stuff. If you live in an area where you have the occasional tornado, wild fire, or earthquake, it may be a very good idea to have all this information on a flash drive in your purse at all times.
Old 01-17-2015, 04:09 AM

Definitely a good idea to back up on flash drives. I'd be wacky enough though that I'd have to have a dedicated one for each subject matter!
Old 01-17-2015, 07:13 AM

I love flash drives too! They are handy and easy to use. It never hurts to have backup!
Old 01-17-2015, 07:55 AM

Back when I had a new computer built to my specs, I asked to a 2nd hard drive to be installed just for all my files such as quilt designs, embroidery designs, statements, etc. This way if my computer crashes, my files are safe on another hard drive. Sure I can't get to them while its crashed but I haven't lost them either. I also have an external hard drive that I use for backup. Depending on how often these folders are added to will designate how often they get backed up. My quilt and embroidery folders get backed up weekly, jigsaw puzzle folder every 2 weeks and so on. Have another extra external hard drive in case I know my computer is going into the shop and I copy the folders onto this hard drive to use on my laptop. I've had a crash in the past and had a shop retrieve my files. My embroidery files came back looking like confetti, like someone took scissors to it and then tried to put it back together again. Not pretty!!!!
Old 01-17-2015, 07:57 AM
Power Poster

I use an external hard drive, but the flash drives are great for separating things out. I like all the cute designs too.
Old 01-17-2015, 08:02 AM
Power Poster

DH has 6 flash drives in his pockets. I have no idea how he keeps track of what is on each. How do you keep track of them. My one friend takes a photo of each with her phone and labels them like that. She has them in a pouch.
Old 01-17-2015, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
DH has 6 flash drives in his pockets. I have no idea how he keeps track of what is on each. How do you keep track of them. My one friend takes a photo of each with her phone and labels them like that. She has them in a pouch.
In his pockets....CIA, FBI,.....?.my pockets have tissues that sometimes I forget to take out at laundry time..then I have washed confetti!
Btw...I do have few flash drives...is that the same as thumb drives....in the desk ..but they are empty....never tried to use.....
Old 01-17-2015, 10:54 AM

I made a envelope -each is slid into its own slot and I carry them in my purse. I had an electrical fire last year - it was the garage-a total loss. But my brother had his 'man cave' out there -computer tv musical equip and guitars all was lost. So that set in a panic about things that can not be replaced. So my son put every thing on usb's . And showed me how to do it myself. I took a piece of masking tape to label each. Legal=important paper work titles-ins-my will etc... If some one has to access them because I can't the first thing they will see is my name and then my family's names and phone numbers.
Old 01-17-2015, 02:43 PM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

Flash drives are great; just remember to put what you have on a flash drive on a disc just in case .... Or better yet a fire proof chest on both ..
Old 01-17-2015, 02:45 PM
Power Poster

Mine are color coded with little key chain rings and stuff like that. My quilting on has a key chain with a spool of thread. Also, some of the drives themselves are different colors I have what's on them written on a small list.