fleas----help

Old 01-10-2014, 01:41 PM

I treated my cats with Capstar. I bought it on Ebay, and used the ones that are the "generic" name. worked perfect!
Old 01-10-2014, 02:55 PM

I use Advantage once a month on my Yorkies. The groomer puts it on before I take them home. It is the only reliable drug I have used. I tried oral meds and found them harmful to the dogs. Call an exterminator for the house and the yard. It is safer than anything do-it-yourself treatment. froggyintexas
Originally Posted by linda701 View Post
We stayed in a motel on the way to florida for the winter. Our dogs got fleas. We have given these dogs flea baths twice, sprayed everything for fleas, even the outside area.I have stripped everything and washed it. They keep coming back. We give them vetguard every month. We don't know what else to do. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you in advance for any replys.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:58 PM
Power Poster

http://www.doityourselfpestcontrol.com/

We have had great luck with these products. I believe they are nontoxic
Old 01-10-2014, 05:38 PM

Go to the vet and buy triflexis. It is a pill that you give to your dog once a month. It keeps heartworms and fleas from your dog. It is great. Use flea bombs to kill them in your house, but you must do it more than once 10 days apart because the flea eggs hatch.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:56 PM

Get some Borax (one box does 500-1,00sq ft), sprinkle liberally on all carpeting, then work in with a stiff broom. Wait at least 20 minutes and vacuum up. Get some kind of spray to spray under couches, lay-z-boys, beds, dressers, and any other "shadow" place you couldn't get to with the borax.

That SHOULD get rid of the fleas in your house.

I have 3 cats. One we inherited when we moved in. It had been abandoned by the previous tenant, and was FULL of fleas. We gave all three a flea treatment, and did the Borax and spray. They're indoor only cats, and we've never had a flea problem since.

You can go to a pet store and get their expensive flea powder, but it's mostly Borax anyway.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by linda701 View Post
We stayed in a motel on the way to florida for the winter. Our dogs got fleas. We have given these dogs flea baths twice, sprayed everything for fleas, even the outside area.I have stripped everything and washed it. They keep coming back. We give them vetguard every month. We don't know what else to do. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you in advance for any replys.
Bomb the house ......then bomb again in 21 days........Capstar pill......Repeat Capstar..... then we had the bug man come and spray .....
Never had anything like it and hope never again ...
Old 01-10-2014, 08:29 PM

Had this problem last Spring. I have indoor cats & either they picked up fleas at the vets office or they hitched a ride on us. We used revolution on the cats, the vet said to put a few moth balls in the vacumn cleaner bag, & we used Raid Flea Killer Plus on the carpet. It last up to four months. It is more like a fogger that you spray. Since fleas do not lay eggs on the pets you have to treat the carpet & floors. I had to do half the house one day & the other half the next day. We had to keep the cats off carpet until it dried. I swear by the Raid. We never had to wash everything in the house & no more fleas after a couple of days. Good luck.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:20 PM

bug repellant made with 1 liter of vodka (cheapest you cab find) soak whole cloves (24-30) overnight in vodka. Strain out cloves, put clove-infused vodka in spray bottle, add 1 tbsp of vegetable oil and shake up. Oil helps it stick - can spray on dog and also humans. Also works outside as bug repellant. I have also heard that brewer's yeast works as a flea repellant. It is best ingested but dogs having acute sense of smell may balk if something is different in the food bowl. Cats clean themselves so it's easier to get them to ingest by putting on fur.
Old 01-11-2014, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by Mary O View Post
There is a tablet you can give your pet,goes by weight kills fleas on the body after 30min. ask your vet..very inexpensive and of course follow up with treatments in youre house.....
This pill is called Capstar. Why don't you take the babies to the vet for a couple of days, give them a Capstar so they feel better, then follow some of these other suggestions while the babies are out of the house and not itchy?
Old 01-11-2014, 06:02 AM
Power Poster

I puppysat one time and ended up with a lot of unwanted "guests". I dipped the pup. I bug bombed the house more than once. Finally a friend told me to sprinkle salt on the carpeting and under furniture cushions let it sit a day or so then vacuum ..repeat if necessary. No more fleas! Not saying the hotel isn't to blame but I live in Florida, have pest control, have indoor cats and use advantage. Every once in a while a flea appears. Those buggers come in no matter what!