Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Fleece Bad For the Environment/Planet? >

Fleece Bad For the Environment/Planet?

Fleece Bad For the Environment/Planet?

Old 10-22-2015, 09:05 PM

We did have fleece that was a heavy weight cotton knit. I made some sweatshirts for my youngest using it, and she's 32 now. The fleece we purchase these days is not the same at all.
Old 10-23-2015, 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by cathyvv View Post
We did have fleece that was a heavy weight cotton knit. I made some sweatshirts for my youngest using it, and she's 32 now. The fleece we purchase these days is not the same at all.
Sweatshirt fleece. Love the stuff. You can actually sew it. I think it's coming back.

I saw a posting in a Babylock serger group complaining about the thickness of the "fleece" They were told to pound the seams.

When it comes to fleece to make clothes, Polar does a thinner fleece that is fairly decent to work with. Not like the normal no-sew junk Joann and Hancock sells. Polar is more expensive.

Now bring back the old robe velour.
Old 10-23-2015, 04:25 AM

Thanks for posting......new to me and I do care about the environment.
Old 10-23-2015, 05:26 AM

Would this also apply to those using poly batting in their quilts?
Old 10-23-2015, 05:33 AM

I think we have to go back to the beginning of what we drink. What happened to good old water from the tap. Our cities spend a lot of money making our water safe to drink, and we go and buy more from the store in these plastic bottles, and it is way more expensive than gasoline.

We have to get rid of all these plastic bottles and plastic bags. They are just cruel to our animal life, and in turn, cruel to us when we use these animals for our food.
Old 10-23-2015, 06:14 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
I think we have to go back to the beginning of what we drink. What happened to good old water from the tap. Our cities spend a lot of money making our water safe to drink, and we go and buy more from the store in these plastic bottles, and it is way more expensive than gasoline.

We have to get rid of all these plastic bottles and plastic bags. They are just cruel to our animal life, and in turn, cruel to us when we use these animals for our food.
More cities and towns then you can imagine have water unfit to drink or use in cooking. May be safe but tastes like dirty socks. Getting rid of plastic isn't going to happen , way too much political donation money comes from the manufactures, millions of jobs at stake, and consumers will not go back to glass shampoo bottles.
Old 10-23-2015, 08:27 AM

I agree--there needs to be more research. Everyday there is some new article about something we eat or use that warns us about its danger. After awhile there won't be anything we should eat or use that is good for us or the environment.
Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I have heard about the micro beads in body wash effecting fish. I think more research needs to be done on the fleece. I imagine with any thing that is not iodegradable there is going to be some problems.
Old 10-23-2015, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by mckwilter View Post
We had to replace our septic system about 10 years ago. We chose to have the water that drains from the washer go into the yard to water the grass and bushes. It does not go down the drain and into the septic system. If you have a big yard, consider diverting the water from the washer into your yard, especially if you are in an area that rations water.
The average life expectancy of a septic system is only 20-30 years, so replacement is not unusual. By having your graywater divert to the lawn, you're putting loose plastic fibers directly into the food chain instead of containing them underground with the rest of the sludge to be pumped and disposed of as contaminents. Something to think about.
Old 10-23-2015, 12:50 PM
Power Poster

Wash water, kitchen water, and bath water are called gray water. We are on a septic system too and have our gray water diverted to be emptied by different pipes and not in the tank. We had to get approval from the powers that be and was given the go ahead to only have sewage go to the septic tank. The septic tank empties into the same pipe as the gray water, I don't understand and really don't want to.
Old 10-23-2015, 09:44 PM

I read a story many years ago in Readers Digest. It was titled "How not to get cancer"

1. Do not breathe
2. Do not eat
3. Do not drink

etc, etc.