Flying with Sewing Machine

Old 12-02-2012, 02:26 PM

Put as much padding as possible around the machine, do not leave wiggle room. My machine was smashed and the United Airlines would not pay for the damage. Said it was not packed properly. I had it as a carry on and one of the planes made me put it below, that's when the damage was done.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:32 PM

I just recently travelled with my featherweight from Florida to New York. I kept nothing sharp in the FW case. Needles and such went into my checked baggage. I did carry my FW on-board with me. Going through security, I was 'targeted' and pulled aside. I explained to the very nice officer exactly what I was carrying and he regaled me with stories from his childhood of his mother's Featherweight!! He was appreciative of my FW's great condition and let me continue on my way! Safe travels!!
Old 12-02-2012, 05:59 PM

I only carry my FW, I take the needle out and put it in it's case, then inside the quilted case I made for it. I put it under the seat in front of me. I get pulled aside to be "frisked" anyway because I had both knees replaced. They usually just want to look in the case, but I've never had any trouble with it.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:35 PM

I carry on a small Janome frequently. Almost always have to step aside and screeners swab the machine for explosives. No big deal really, just have it in a bag or case that is easily accessible. Have fun!